Roon ARC Setting to Download Over WiFi Only Doesn't Work

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+ Rev B.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google WiFi Mesh Network connected to TPLink switches. Phone is using Google Fi VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Nucleus+ connected directly to my Denon AVR X4300H via HDMI and Ethernet to TPLink 5 port switch.

Using the Android ARC app on my Pixel 6 Pro.

Number of Tracks in Library

~10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Update: I just tested this, and the problem is with downloading and not playback. I turned off my cell network on my phone and playback continued. So, the toggle for only downloading over WiFi is broken. Please fix this as it is costing me money. I have about 50 or so albums that I manually queued up to download. Now I must either turn off my cellular network on my phone or go through and manually, one by one, remove the queued downloads.

I am in the process of downloading all of my albums in my Roon library on the ARC app, but it seems when I leave the house it is either continuing to download the albums using my cellular data or streaming the album I already have downloaded from my Nucleus+. I have used 6GB of data in ~2 days. The whole reason I am downloading my tracks is so I don’t have to use my cellular data. This is going to cost me an extra $60 on my bill this month and my wife is going to kill me. Please help.

Thank you

Go into Roon ARC settings and make sure you have it set to Download on WI-Fi only. I don’t have any downloaded music files, but I assume Roon ARC is going to play whatever you click on.

I checked that, and it is set correctly. It was one of the first things I checked. I toggled it off and on to see if that fixes it as it was on by default.

Same to me! Downloading by WLAN doesn‘t work. My 20 GB mobile data is already spent …
Download just by WLAN is chosen too!
Please show us how to solve the problem!

What phone and version of Android or iOS are you using? Thanks

Correction: download settings are working now! But this leads to „download paused“ —> no download possible
I really need help!

I‘m using an iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 16.0.2

A post was merged into an existing topic: ARC - no download via WLAN possible

Hi Geoff. I’m using a Google Pixel 6 Pro w/ Android 13 and the latest security patch from September.

Hey @Jason_DiMeo,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

I wanted to check in on this thread to see if you were still having issues with being able to download content over wifi? I would suggest updating to the lastest Roon builds on both your core and mobile device to see if your issue persists.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :pray:

Hi @benjamin,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I totally understand that you guys must be incredibly busy. I appreciate your time.

So, I did a little testing last night and it seems like the problem is mostly fixed. If I am on my cellular network and initiate a download, I get a nice little modal that tells me that WiFi is off and asks me if I want to download anyway. It even shows me how much data it will use to download. This is a nice feature.

Next, I turned WiFi back on and queued up a few albums to download. While they were downloading, I turned WiFi off and it looked like it stopped downloading. So far so good. Then I turned WiFi back on again and unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that downloading the albums resume on its own. This is not a huge deal, but I wanted to pass along my findings.

So, I am pleased that this has mostly been resolved and I’m sure there are other issues you guys need to get to. You can go ahead and close this ticket. If you want to let the devs know that downloads don’t automatically resume when switching back to WiFi, that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed response @Jason_DiMeo! I will certainly bring these findings to our dev team for further investigation.

I’ll go ahead and close this thread for now, but if you have any questions or want to get in touch feel free to tag me or support :+1:

Happy listening :notes:

1 Like

Thank you so much @benjamin! It’s been a pleasure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.