Roon ARC Setup Failed

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 i7 12700k 32GB

I cannot configure Roon ARC. I have tried every troubleshooting step. I have access to the router and NAT is activated.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

NAT and UpNp is activated inside the router. I tried setting up a static IP address, port forwarding and allowing ports through my BitDefender firewall, nothing works.

Connected Audio Devices

I use USB DAC headphones and active speakers (Edifier R1280T)

Number of Tracks in Library

My library has about 150 tracks

Description of Issue

I cannot configure Roon ARC. I have tried every troubleshooting step. I have access to the router and NAT is activated.

Hi @Ioannis_Bochtis1,

Can you please answer the following questions so the community can support you further:

1. Who is your internet service provider?
  2. Please list the make and model of your ISP modem/router
  3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

And can you supply us with the diagnostics from the Roon ARC tab in Settings?

Cheers, Joost

1 Like

Roon ARC Diagnostics:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“45.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

1. Internet Service Provider: M247 Europe SRL
    2 ISP router Date: March 2018, Product: GPON ONT, Model: ZXHN F680
  2. No additional network hardware
  3. I use NordVPN and Bitdefender Total Security
    FYI, I turned off both my VPN and Antivirus before trying to set up Roon ARC

@Ioannis_Bochtis1, the port forwarding diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that UPnP is not properly configured on your router or not working correctly.

Please try the following steps in order:

• Reboot your Roon Core and networking gear (router, modem, switches, etc.)
  • Try to enable UPnP/NATPMP in the web administration interface for the router
  • Try to manually open the port in your router’s port forwarding configuration
  • Make sure the IP/Port matches the Port listed in Roon → Settings → ARC
  • Check for any VPNs or Firewalls that might be interfering
  • Try to update your router firmware
  • Check if your modem is in Bridge mode and if not, try to place into Bridge mode

If you continue to experience difficulties, please tag the support team and include the following information:

1. What is the make and model of your modem and router?
  2. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
  3. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
  4. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?

Thanks!

Hi Martin,

1. I rebooted my Roon Core and networking gear
  2. The UPnP setting in my router is enabled, I disabled and enabled it many times without success
  3. I opened the port manually, making sure that the IP/matches the one listed in Roon ARC settings.
  4. I disabled NordVPN and Bitdefender protection, whilst configuring.
  5. Router Firmware is up-to-date.
  6. I could not find settings for Bridge mode, because the ZTE F680 is a gateway, so it is a router and modem combined.
  7. I tried configuring Roon ARC whilst on Ethernet and Wi-Fi, and also tried setting up different ports for both. Nothing seems to be working. Diagnostics data still gives the same error.

I am not an expert by any means, but I am tech-savy to a certain degree. Is it supposed to be that difficult to set up?

1. ISP router Date: March 2018, Product: GPON ONT, Model: ZXHN F680
  2. No additional hardware
  3. Internet Service Provider: M247 Europe SRL
  4. Not 100% about bridge mode but as it is a gateway it should be configured in Bridge mode

Does the diagnostic message differ when you enable and disable UPnP? If yes, what does it show when enabled and what when disabled?

The diagnostic message does not change, unfortunately. Enabling and disabling the UPnP setting does not seem to do anything.

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“82.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

It still says status not found

Well, that doesn’t help us much… I’m out of ideas.
I think we better call @support to help you out.

Hi @Ioannis_Bochtis1,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting a response. I double-checked things and you’re right, the modem is a modem/router gateway. In all likelihood, the reason the message didn’t change after touching the UPnP settings is that this gateway is still in between outside access and your intranet. Can you confirm whether or not you have an additional router employed? I’m not familiar with your ISP and want to be sure I give you the best advice.

Also, have you tried setting up manual port forwarding? UPnP doesn’t always work as it should!

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Wes,

thanks for getting back to me.

I don’t use an additional router.

Regarding manual port forwarding, I have tried it many times following the instructions on the Roon Website.

I also added Firewall Rules for the ports 50000 and 50002 and IP addresses 192.168.1.131 & 192.168.1.132 (Ethernet and WiFi) and disabled BitDefender and NordVPN during configuration.

Unfortunately, nothing has worked thus far.

Hi @Ioannis_Bochtis1,

There are only a couple of factors I can think of.

1. I have used Nord and when I have, it’s had a nasty habit of causing similar issues for me. To fix I’ve had to disable on startup and reboot. I would recommend both BitDefender and Nord be disabled for the purpose of testing and reboot with them disabled. In addition to this, any firewalls or apps that would otherwise interfere. If it works, add them back one at a time to find the culprit.

2. Verify that the port used under settings>Roon ARC is visible to canyouseeme.org. It might be necessary to try a different and lower port range based on your findings at canyouseeme. Roon ARC will work on most any port in the 10k to 65k range.

3. Verify that your ISP does NOT use CGNAT or carrier grade nat. If they do, a static IP from them is the way to get around this. Additionally, if your ISP is anything like mine, they have steps some additional tricks to try surrounding the ISP issued hardware. (I had a full-on battle with my ISP!!!)

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Hi Wes,

thanks for the useful tips.

I think I figured out the problem. It’s the CGNAT.

I pinged my IP in whatsmyipaddress and then checked the IP in my router’s interface.

On the website my IP starts with 94. and in my router with 100. I have to get in contact with my ISP to request a public IP address I think.

Please confirm if what I’m saying is correct.

Thanks for your help

1 Like

@Ioannis_Bochtis1, yes it appears your ISP is using CG-NAT based on the IP address starting with 100 (although it’s the second number that would confirm that, CG-NAT uses anything from 64-127 in the second part of the IP address after the 100).

Can your ISP provide you a static public IP address and remove CG-NAT from your configuration?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.