Roon ARC was unable to securely access your Roon Server

Newbie here and no network expert (in any way!) looking for a steer.

Roon ARC was working fine until last few months.

Message now received in ARC that “Your Roon Server isn’t configured for access outside your network.”

Within Roon app under “Roon ARC” message is as attached screenshot.

[There is no diagnostics data for Roon Support]

FritzBox router is ticked for : “Transmit status information over UPnPs”

Restarted everything and reinstalled Nucleus+. No network changes made as far as I am aware

Please help - still cannot get ARC working outside my WiFi network.

There are two things happenning here:

1. The ARC settings page is not displaying the full diagnostic information.
  2. You have have lost ARC connectivity.

The first, issue can be fixed by turning of ipv6 in your router (but be careful - if your ISP is supporting ipv6 through the use of DS-Lite, turning off ipv6 may lose internet connectivity altogether).

It may be that turning off ipv6 fixed the ARC connectivity as well. If not, then at least you should see the missing diagnostic information which will give a clue as to what is going on.

I have a exact the same problem with

1. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    “NO”
  2. Who is your internet service provider and what is your geographic region?
    “Spectrum Internet Service at CA, US”
  3. Is your Modem configured in Bridge Mode so that it operates only as a modem or do you have the ports forwarded on both?
    “No Bridge Mode” ( not configurable on the modem which is provided from service )

Can Anyone really help what the error means? “No diagnostic data available?”

Because there is no diagnostic info displayed (known issue with ipv6 enabled connections), you can’t tell whether you have the same issue or not.

Can you please create your own support thread to handle your case so as not to confuse the issues with this one.

1 Like

I will do that thanks for the clarification!

Hi - very grateful for your quick reply.

I have disabled IPV6 and the Roon ARC settings in the Roon App is now as attached - still no diagnostic information. Says it has no Internet connection, but I am certainly able to browse the net with the ipv6 enabled box unticked (as second screenshot).

Can you think of anything else to try please?

By disabling and enabling the ipv6 setting I managed to get this:

{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“82.hhh.iii.jjj”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Any help with the meaning of that would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Hi @Mark_Worsey,

You’re unfortunately encountering a known issue - if ARC worked fine for months and then displayed a blank diagnostic, then you’re in the group affected by this bug: Unable to Access Roon ARC Outside Home Network After Recent IPv6 Compatibility Update [Fix in Early Access]

Fortunately, we’re testing a fix right now in Early Access. If you move your RoonServer machine and ARC over to this #earlyaccess branch (here are quick instructions), you’ll likely be able to run ARC. This fix will go into the public build in the next release once we’ve verified efficacy.

@Hyun_Seung_Kim,

If ARC had previously worked and you encounter a blank diagnostic screen without an IP address in Roon → Settings → ARC, then please see the above.

Thanks @connor

I have a fear of messing up my whole Roon access.

Do you have an approximate idea of when the “official” update will be scheduled? How long do I need to hold on for??

Mark

Hi @Mark_Worsey,

Early Access updates are released to the public after about 1-2 weeks of testing. We don’t have an exact timeline but you can expect the next public Roon Release within the next several weeks at most.

Please let us know if we can provide any assistance migrating your RoonServer to #earlyaccess in the meantime. It’s quite low-risk as long as you move all your Remotes at the same time to the testing branch.

Hi @connor
Thank you. I’m using a Nucleus+ and an iPad as my control. Is updating those two all I have to do?

Mark

Hi @connor
I think the upgrade is released (?) At least I did an upgrade yesterday and hoped the Roon ARC issue would be resolved. However, the message contained in the title of this thread remains the same. I do have the ability to copy the diagnostics data (below). Any help really appreciated (please!)

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“82.mmm.nnn.ooo”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a02:fff:ggg:hhh:iii:jjj:kkk:lll”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

2Connor ? Bump. Please??

@connor Please??

Hi @Mark_Worsey,

Thank you for your patience. We’ve taken a closer look at diagnostics and can see that RoonServer appears to be communicating with two active routers instead of one. In a two-router setup, ARC and RoonServer will be severed by a layer of network address translation in the second router.

You’ll need to place one of these two routers in “Bridge” mode, which effectively renders it a modem. Please describe your network topology, including the make and model of these routers, and we’ll do our best to assist from there. Thanks!

Thanks @connor

I’ve got one router (FRITZ!Box 7530) and a Netgear switch. Definitely not got two routers. The frustration is that the RoonARC worked perfectly when first released.