Unable to Access Roon ARC Outside Home Network After Recent IPv6 Compatibility Update [Fixed with Build 1401]

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

Since the last time I had reason to visit the Roon ARC settings page, all of the ip address information for my Roon Server has dissappeared. ARC itself works OK.

Subsequently, I have deliberately disabled port forwarding (and the ipv6 firewall pinhole) in my router and the Roon ARC settings page still reports 'Ready' even though, as expected, ARC does not, now, connect to the server.

Since the last time I saw this working correctly, I have done two things:

1. I rebuilt my NUC11TNHi7 server using DietPi instead of RoonOs (ROCK install).
2. I upgraded Roon from 1388 to 1392 (with associated updates to remotes and ARC.

As you can see, there is no ip address information (ipv4 or ipv6) present and, bearing in mind that this was with ARC port forwarding disabled in my router, there is no connection diagnostics present. (This was after the ‘refresh’ button was used a couple of times and even after a Roon Server application restart and then a NUC reboot.

Re-enabling the ARC port forwarding rule in my router re-establishes ARC connectivity from outside of my network (tested by turning WiFi off on my Android phone) but the information displayed in Roon → Settings → ARC does not change.

F.Y.I., Before and after the experiment to disable ARC connectivity I had/have ipv6 enabled with both an ipv4 port forwarding rule and an ipv6 firewall pinhole set up for port 55000.

I have exactly the same behavior. Roon is not showing an IP address on the ARC page.

Everything works, but no IP address is shown.

I‘m using Dual Stack. Port forwarding is enabled for IPv4 and IPv6 is allowed to pass on the firewalls.

Roon server is running on a minimal Debian 12.

Full form submission

Network Setup

I use multiple routers, none of which are provided by my ISP

ARC Status

ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

None of these are listed. It simply says "TIMEDOUT" or similar.

System or third-party *firewalls *or *antivirus software* can sometimes block RoonServer from reaching ARC.

Try adding RoonServer and its associated processes to the whitelist of any firewalls or antivirus software you have installed, including the Windows system firewall, if applicable.
[You can learn more about firewall exceptions with Roon here.](https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/firewall)

Has the status in Roon -> Settings -> ARC changed after adding exceptions in your firewalls and antivirus software for Roon?
ARC is still *Not Ready*

Don't give up yet.

I'm stuck. I'd like to create a post to ask Roon Community for help.

Roon Arc Diagnostics are blank. I am using TPLink Deco mesh routers with NAT disabled and port forwarding enabled for the roon ROCK system. Despite this the Roon ARC diagnostics are just blank or empty braces e.g. {}.

ISP: Pentanet Network devices: TP-link Deco AC12, Mesh network. OS: Roon rock running on intel nuc connected via Ethernet to one of the mesh network routers.

Full form submission

Network Setup

My only router was provided by my ISP

ARC Status

ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

The ARC settings page says "Not Ready," but I can still connect to ARC via cellular data. I'm having another problem.

I was able to use Roon ARC until a recent Roon update. Now I cannot access when I am not on my network, i.e., outside of home. There is no "Diagnostics data for Roon support" displaying. I was using port 55002 and have tried multiple ports. I have port forwarding turned on and that hasn't helped.

ISP: Sky UK
Make / model of the network devices: MacBook Air M2
How they are linked with each other: LAN/ethernet cable + WiFi
OS where RoonServer / ARC are running: Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have a similar issue. See:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/incorrect-status-and-ip-address-information-missing-from-roon-arc-settings-page-ref-q8t4jo/269757/3

I believe I have also seen other people with similar issues.

1 Like

It certainly does not help that the diagnostics text is essentially empty.

Do you know whether the ip address of your Roon Server has changed? It may be that the port forwarding is not working because the router already has a rule forwarding the port to a different ip address.

You could try changing the ARC port number to something different - say 56000 - and, if not using uPnPn, making an equivalent change to the port forwarding rule in your router.

How is your Mac Roon Server machine connected to your router? Is it direct by wire (or at least with only ethernet switches in the path)?

Without the diagnostics text being displayed, it might help it you posted the LAN side ip address of your router (normally beginning 192.168. … but could also be 172. … or 10. …) and the ip address of the Roon Server Mac. This would enable us to elliminate several possibilities - such as double NAT, a network failure causing the Mac to not receive an ip address etc.

Full form submission

Network Setup

I use a single personal router not provided by my ISP

ARC Status

ARC is *Not Ready*

Roon Error Code

None of these are listed. It simply says "TIMEDOUT" or similar.

System or third-party *firewalls *or *antivirus software* can sometimes block RoonServer from reaching ARC.

Try adding RoonServer and its associated processes to the whitelist of any firewalls or antivirus software you have installed, including the Windows system firewall, if applicable.
[You can learn more about firewall exceptions with Roon here.](https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/firewall)

Has the status in Roon -> Settings -> ARC changed after adding exceptions in your firewalls and antivirus software for Roon?
I don't have any system or third-party firewalls or antivirus software.

Have you successfully located and enabled the UPnP or NAT-PMP settings in your router's web UI?

UPnP is not listed in my router settings

How would you like to continue with the network configuration?
I will configure port forwarding manually.

Have you created a manual TCP port forwarding according to the instructions?

Yes

What status do you see when visiting Settings > Roon ARC in Roon?

ARC is "Not Ready"

Select the Diagnostic Keyword or Text String

Something else

Don't give up yet.

I'm stuck. I'd like to create a post to ask Roon Community for help.

Roon ARC was working fine until 3 days ago. I now get the “not ready” screen but the diagnostic data box is empty — it looks like this { }. I have restarted Roon and rebooted my network, still no change.

Verizon fiber optic, Linksys router, one switch between router and Roon Core. Core is SGC sonic transporter i9

1 Like

Hi. The IP address remains unchanged: 192.168.0.36
I have tried at least 10 port numbers in the range of 10,000–65,000
Roon Server is my MacBook Air M2 and is a wired connection.
LAN side IP address of router: 192.168.0.1 (I think that’s right looking at System Settings

I had the second problem too. I turned in network settings on my iMac the IPv6 of in ethernet settings. After this the problem was resolved.

OK. That all looks good. Both the router and the MacBook Air are on the same subnet and, to my knowledge, Sky in the UK do not use CG-NAT, so you have not got a double NAT issue.

In your original post you mentioned:

Where is Wifi involved? If your MacBook Air is connected by wire to SKY router (as strongly recommended by Roon), then Wifi should not be involved in the establishment of an ARC connection.

How is your port forwarding configured? Is it done automatically using uPnP or natPmP or is it done with an explicit manually configured port forwarding rule?

Finally, I would be very tempted to:

1. Turn both the Router and the Macbook Air off (and any network switches between the two).
  2. Power on the Router and wait for it to complete it’s boot process.
  3. If you turned any network switches off in step 1, turn them back on.
  4. Power on the Macbook Air and then recheck the ARC connection status.

@RiMac has suggested turning ipv6 connectivity off in your router settings. It might be worth a try to elliminate any issues with SKY’s ipv6 provision. Having said that, I have ipv6 enabled on my network (BT in the UK) so there is nothing implicitely wrong with having ipv6 enabled.

If you do have ipv6 enabled, don’t be tempted to try to get ipv6 working (via a ipv6 firewall exception in your router) until after you have got ipv4 working.

Other than that, I’m not sure that I have any ideas that will help you.

I mean disable IPv6 in the ethernet settings on your Mac. Not in your router.
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-04 om 16.44.20

Here is a screenshot of what I see.

Roon Server Machine

ROCK, 2.0 build 1392

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fully wired, unmanaged Netgear switch

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    BT

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?
    Smarthub

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    Unmanaged switch

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

My primary Roon server is ROCK but I occasionally switch to my Synology, and in the past ARC has worked fine, I just change the port forwarding in my router to switch as required.

I recently switched back to ROCK, updated to 1392, and now I can’t get ARC to connect. I’ve rebooted etc to no avail. Otherwise Roon is working fine, it certainly finds the server as it’s playing music, but cannot get ARC to work. I’ve tried deleting and re-instating port forward rules, changing port number etc, all to no avail. The Roon ARC page doesn’t seem to know the IP address of my ROCK?

There have been a number of reports of this issue and similar ones including one from myself.

However, you should be able to find the ip address of your ROCK server in a number of different ways:

1. Look at the list of devices connected to your router in the Router Web UI. The ip address should be shown.
  2. Install a network utility like ‘Fing’ (Fing Desktop). This will allow you to explore the devices on your network and find the ip addresses.

Once you have found the ip address, you should be able to establish the modified port forward rule and get ARC connectivity working - even though the ip address is not shown on the ARC settings page.

thanks, but I do know the IP address for my NUC, it’s long-since been configured on a static address on my router :slight_smile: and the port forwarding is configured correctly on the router side.

For some reason, Roon’s ARC configuration page is not showing the server’s IP address, even though Roon is playing music from my ROCK NUC quite happily. Given the number of reports, am assuming this is a bug.

Hi @Peter_Zorn,

The team is investigating this symtpom - it’s been reported widely since the release of the latest build.

What happens if you disable IPv6 in your router itself?

1 Like
Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

I can't log into ARC but I can log into Roon

Arc can`t connect to roon server after update. Roon arc works fine via ipv6 before recent roon update, the roon arc settings dose not show roon server ip now.

@phil_spence, I moved your post to this thread where other users are experiencing similar issues.

Thanks for reply. My ISP dose not provide a real ipv4 address so I can only use ipv6 for tcp connection. The roon server can get a ipv6 address before update, but arc can not connect to server remotely before the previews(maybe March) update. The March update works fine with arc over IPV6. May I suggest the team to provide self defined domain name for tcp connection ? Like the plex do. Then I can use reverse proxy or IPV6 to ipv4 tunnel through a VPS.