Roon as an output channel for other sources? Ugh, but maybe

Roon server with integrated Airplay client (like Shairport) for streaming via Airplay to Roon endpoints would be nice. No particular hardware and no virtual audio cable would be required. This would allow to stream from IOS and Mac devices via Roon server to any Roon endpoint. Something similar should be possible to enable Android and Windows devices to stream via Roon server to Roon endpoints. In this way Spotify, Qobuz and other media sources could be listened to via the Roon infrastructure which would be a great benefit.

2 Likes

I have a product that can read REW files, contact me in a PM if still in demand.

Please add this feature to Room.

+1 on this feature. Would solve many of different problems for us that uses other sources for music then Tidal. I know that this would generate at least 5 lifetime subscriptions.

/Johan Ch

1 Like

Yes I would also welcome a future to have computer audio on core device as input into Roon. It would be nice to be able to switch notifications on & off dependant on ones needs. I to listen to prospective online purchases but currently wear headphones into laptop to do so. I would get more out of Roon with such a add-on.

Itā€™s the only feature which Iā€™m really missing in Roon.
It discourages me from buying a membership.

That would be a game changer!

1 Like

First postā€¦ Iā€™d love to have Roon with the ability to input audio from other sources, even to the point of offering ā€œoverrideā€ capabilities for currently playing audio. This would be beneficial for home automation systems allowing Roon to act as the end-all be-all endpoint for any home audio.

2 Likes

Be nice with Siri integration tooā€¦Hey Siri get roon to play some bob marley in the lounge

While that would be awesome, itā€™s also not a simple issue due to the latency introduced, which is significant if watching a movie. For music playback only this would be much easier though, I think.

Iā€™m sorry. I didnā€™t mean to imply ā€œallā€ audio sources for the home. I meant purely for anything incoming for notifications, music streaming services, etc. While I understand Roon is for audiophiles who prefer bit-perfect playback of their music, why canā€™t it also support less than perfect sources for other purposes?

Iā€™d love my Spotify playlists to be accessible through Roon, as well as my home automation announcements and the like. Adding my embedded Echo Dot outputs into the mix would be great as well, especially if they could duck any currently playing audio, or even override while playing.

Lots of features that would make Roon the go-to audio solution for a burgeoning home automation market.

Hi Danny, Iā€™m wondering did this ever get added to the roadmap? Thanks.

I would also like to see this. I have two macs, one for audio and one for movies. I am thinking to get a dedicated endpoint for my DAC like the uRendu or SMS-200ā€¦ but the problem with those is they can only be in one ā€œmodeā€ such as Roon, NAA, Airplay at a time. So if I have it set to receive Roon then I wouldnā€™t be able to send audio of other types e.g. from Plex etc.
If Roon had the option to send system audio then it could be used by any machine in the house running any audio. Basically the opposite of Roon Bridge - something akin to a virtual soundcard similar to Dante DVS that can output audio to other Roon zones/endpoints.
As for the streaming delay when watching movies, most video playing software like Plex allows one to set a time delay/offest, so even if Roon itself didnā€™t automatically compensate for any delay, it would still be manageable.

Please add this feature and I am a Roon customer for life. One software to bind all sources together. Logitec Media Sever comes closest but its GUI is clunky at best, The third party add ons for services like Soundcloud make it what it is but these are even clunkier! I feel Roon is stuck on the fact that the service would need to be integrated. I think if you read the requests for this feature integration is not a top priority. I like Soundclouds interface. I would just like to use Roon to pass it through to my system. I want Roon for its network capabilities and integrated Room connection. Roon Labs also seems to get hung up on licencing at that companies like Soundcloud wont allow it. A pass through avoid all of this. And guess what Roon you might learn something about what your customers really want outside of being force fed Hiphop from Tidals homepage.

5 Likes

Add me as one who wants and would use this. It could also help solve the apparently high demand for folder browsing as one could use other apps for folder browsing and playing through Roon and taking advantage of DSP/zones, etc.

Much of the discussion in this thread seems to be about computer control. I use an android tablet to control with Core on NAS. With implementation, I could use an Android app like BubbleUPnP, Linn, etc, etc, to do folder browsing and play through Roon.

+1

Usage for me:

1. Applying Roonā€™s DSP engine system-wide
  2. Perform REW + Dirac measurements through Roonā€™s DSP engine for correctness

Other bits:

1. Coming from JRiver which has this feature (ā€œWDM Driverā€).
  2. When Roon is playing directly it can move to exclusive mode automatically to bypass the OS mixer and/or bypass the ā€œvirtual inputā€ feature to maintain sound quality.
1 Like

Iā€™ve read the 55 posts and comprehend maybe 10% of them.
My simple question, which I think may have already been answered is, is there a way to get output from my TEAC transport into my ROON music collection. Treated CDs wonā€™t run on my computer transport but will on the TEAC.

Thank you for your consideration.

What are ā€œtreated CDsā€?

They have four or five tiny copper strips, like spokes and some sort of green liquid on edge and inside hole. If there is anything else Iā€™ll ask my guy who treated them and post it.

Sounds like he wrecked them for you.

1 Like

There is no ā€˜input deviceā€™ in Roon where you can hook up your Teac. You can only play files, ether from a disk in your home or Tidal for example. You may be able to get sound into Roon if you can set up one of the radio-station like programs on your local network. Stream What You Hear is one. You then use Roonā€™s Internet radio function to play. Problem is that the stream is fairly low quality MP3 or AAC.
Strange that treated CDs wonā€™t play on the PC. I have a few of those with green edges which I ripped to wav some years ago.