Roon backup problem Synology NAS

I have 2 Synology NAS’s in my home network, both on the same ‘dumb’ switch.

Backup on 1 NAS is working fine.

However, I can’t get Roon backup working on the 2nd NAS.
Both NAS’s have the same DSM software and configuaration, I have compared and checked over and over again,

On this second NAS, I also have stored an number of music albums. I have added the NAS share ‘Albums’ to the monitored folders. Status is connected and music albums are imported in Roon.
So far all good.

Now I try to execute a manual backup.
1st, I add the new networkshare ‘Albums’, which is also working fine, i.e. I can now select the new networkshare as ‘location’ .
When I then proceed with the backup, I get a ‘lost connection’ error message. After a couple of seconds, Roon Control is reconnecting to the Roon server, and I get the Main screen again.

When I go back to Settings-Backup, and try to re-execute, I notice that during the 1st attempt, A folder Roonbackups has been created in my ‘Albums’ share.
In there a file ‘roon_backup_root’ and 1 folder ‘32b6a443-a27d-0a93-762e-08cbefdee974’ .
This folder has again 2 files in it, and a folder ‘xx’, which is empty.

Trying to re-execute the manual backup, results in the same lost connection (timed-out) error message.

Any idea where to look for, as I am out of ideas?

Dirk

Tagging @support

As far as I know, it is not good practice ( not suggested) to backup to a watched storage location. Please review the Backup FAQ.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup#How_Does_It_Work_

Hello @anon90297517,

As @Rugby mentioned it is not a good practice to have your Roon backups saved in the same directory as your Watched folders as Roon will start scanning the backup location for media files as the backup progresses. Can you please try to create a separate folder on the NAS that you use to save your database to and let me know if the issue still happens afterwards?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris

Thanks for your support.

I have completely removed the ‘Albums’ networkshare on the 2nd NAS from Roon, both from the Watched folders,and as a backup location.

I have created a new networkshare ‘Roon’ on the second NAS and tried to backup to this new location.
Unfortunately, no success.

The only difference that I see, is that a manual backup on the 1st NAS is building further on an already existing backup.
On the 2nd NAS, when starting backup, Roon is saying ‘Snapshotting databases for backup’ and will then reports ‘lost connection’.

Addon : I tried this further by trying a manual backup in another folder on my 1st NAS, and indeed/unfortunately the new ‘start from scratch’ backup is not working either.

So it appears to be not a NAS problem at all.

So now I am totally clueless.

Dirk

What’s the roon server running on?

It is running on a dedicated Pinkfaun music streamer, running AudioLinux (Arch linux).

Dirk

Hello @anon90297517,

Can I please ask you to reproduce this issue once more and then note the exact local time in your country (ex. 8:07PM) of when this behavior occurs? I’d like to then enable diagnostics mode for your account and take a look “under-the-hood” to see if Roon is displaying any errors what will possibly provide some clues here.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris

I have just re-executed a manual backup at 9:06 CET (Brussels) as requested

Thanks for your support

Dirk

Hello @anon90297517,

Thank you for providing that timestamp. I have checked our diagnostics server and there does not appear to be any reports from your machine present.

Can I please ask you to manually send us the logs from your machine using these instructions? If you do not have Dropbox or Google Drive, just let me know and I can provide an alternate upload method.

Thanks,
Noris

Dear Noris

Unfortunately, I am not able to provide you the requested log files at htis moment. My Pinkfaun streamer is a ‘closed’ system, and I have no access to the ‘internals’ of the system.
I have brought my system to the supplier, who will take an indepth look at it. I have also forwarded your request, and I propose to put this item on hold till I hear back from the supplier.

Thanks again for all your great support

Dirk

Hello @anon90297517,

Thanks for letting me know that info. Please keep me posted on the supplier’s findings and if they need to ask us any follow up questions the best way to do so would be by creating a community account and commenting on this thread or by messaging me directly.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris

My supplier has located the problem, and it has nothing to do with Roon itself.

In fact, the system disc (having a physical memory of 220GB - SSD) appeared to be formatted with an active partition of only 5,5 Gb. They have no clue how this happened.

So the system was really running on the edge, with the Roon DB > 3Gb. In fact, it is most surprising that Roon actually kept working !! And not surprising at all that no ‘new’ backups (and probably other functions as well) were not possible anymore.

System has now been rebuild, but is in sustainability testing at the supplier.

Hopefully the streamer will be back by beginning of nett week.

Thanks again for all your support

Dirk

3 Likes

Hello @anon90297517,

Thanks for letting me know and glad that the supplier uncovered the issue! Any other questions you may have just let us know and thanks again for contacting support.

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.