Roon Backups Failing - Now Fixed

Roon Core Machine

Small Green Computer SonicTransporter Ver. 2.8 ST9, Intel i9, 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Hardwired Ethernet Network

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My regularly scheduled backups stopped working since the end of August. I have backups scheduled every 10 days, backing up from the SGC SonicTransporter directly to a large NAS, via the network, hardwired via Ethernet.

I manually tried to force a backup and the backup fails somewhere around 30% complete. So, ROON is seeing the NAS and the backup location, starts the backup, but then fails before completing it.

Haven’t done anything to the system in the last few mos. Added a few Tidal albums in the last month plus one FLAC album to the file server directory on the NAS. Overall, over 44,000 tracks.

I rebooted both the Netgear ReadyNAS RN214 (where the media and backups are) and the SonicTransporter to see if that changed anything. Surprisingly, rather than the ROON backup failing at about the 30% Transferring mark, it completed the Forced Backup completely!

Problem solved … I think.

I’m posting this in the event others are experiencing a similar situation. I have no idea why hardware reboots of the NAS and the ROON CORE would affect this but it seems to be fixed.

Can anyone provide a technical explanation why this happens?

Thanks,
Herb…

Simple answer is here :wink:

Hi Herb, it’s hard to say for sure what happened here, but I’m glad that you were able to get back up and running! It sounds like either your SonicTransporter or NAS were in a weird state and having trouble connecting to each other for the backup but the reboot got it out of that state. If you see this happen again we’d be happy to take a look at logs and see what’s happening!

I have a suspicion that it might be my NAS causing the issue. The Netgear RN214 has been doing some weird things this year that may be contributing to lost connections with the data.

I’m actually exploring a complete NAS upgrade on a new platform, more storage, and more expandability.
In the meantime, I’m hoping this solution continues to work. I will keep you posted if anything changes.

It turns out to be impossible to restore a backup of Roon after migrating from a Rhein Z1 to an Antipodes EX. The backup file is located on Dropbox, Roon gets stuck in “preparing” in the Backup process, I let it run all night but after 8 hours the Antipodes was still preparing. Canceling didn’t work either, so I restarted Roon. When I read the blogs, I am not the only one who has problems with Roon’s backup function, it does not work and Roon does not indicate in any way what is happening. Too bad, I will now have to edit my 2500 albums by hand.

Imho backups to anything other than local media should not be allowed

Did you see this in the Backup help article?

We do not recommend restoring a backup directly from Dropbox . The Dropbox API has some limitations in speed which can cause this process to take a very long time, so it is best to download the backup from Dropbox to a USB drive

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.