Roon blank screen after minimising window

Hey @Gustavo_Gabaldon – on computers with dual graphics cards, you sometimes need to make sure Roon is using the right one, in order to work around some of the know Intel driver issues. Kevin detailed the steps here.

It may also be worth checking the AMD site, as they sometimes have newer drivers than Windows retrieves automatically.

If neither of those help, can you give me a little more information about the model of your XPS desktop, and the driver you’re currently using for the Radeon R9370. Thanks!

The desktop only has the AMD Radeon card. No Intel GPU. It is a Dell XPS 8900 desktop, Core i7, with Windows 10 Pro x64. As it happens occasionally, not sure what triggers it.

I will check the AMD site for the latest drivers.

I have updated my desktop with the latest AMD Radeon 9370 drivers and the problem persists. Again, it does not happen all the time and once I maximize the windows Roon’s screen is restored

Any update about this???

Hey @Gustavo_Gabaldon – we have spent a lot of time in the past investigating Intel’s driver issue and what we’ve seen is that in some cases they’ve fixed the issue in driver updates, and in some older models they have not updated drivers or addressed the problem. Unfortunately, there’s very little we can do to work around driver issues like these.

I did some research and the graphics card you’re using looks good, and recent. I’m surprised to see this happening, and we can definitely look into this, although I should mention that working around driver issues is often really challenging.

What happens if you re-size the window? Does that cause the interface to render properly?

I’m going to open a ticket internally once you let me know that detail, and we’ll see what we can do. For now, note that you can press F11 twice as a workaround, ok?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble!

Thanks Mike. I seem to reproduce the problem when I minimize Roon and click on Outlook, for example, and then click back at Roon. The screens reappears if I resize the windows. If, right after that, I repeat the procedure, I do not lose the Roon screen, so it seems to happen after some time or event.

I have the latest drivers from the AMD site.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

@mike - I’m seeing the same thing on my desktop system. Switching back to Roon from another application often (but not always) gives me a blank window in Roon. The workaround of resizing the windows will always restore the graphics.

My desktop system uses an Intel Core i5-4460 CPU (which has Intel HD Graphics 4600 on board). However, my primary graphics hardware is an AMD Radeon R7 200 series card. The AMD driver is the latest released version (not beta) 16.3.2, which has OpenGL Version 6.14.10.13431 included (according to the AMD support utility).

Same problem here. Intel HD4000. I tried different set-up with Intel Graphics Control Panel. No go.

Instead of totally minimizing, how about coming up with a mini controller instead where only the music title, back, forward, stop, and rating shows up?

Same issues here. Using Windows 10, latest drivers, Intel HD4000… Roon v1.2… I really hope this gets fixed soon. Our brand new computer bought for Roon is having this issue.

This issue is still present with the latest AMD drivers (I have a Radeon GPU card). My workaround is simply to toggle the window size (e.g. if I’m running in a fullscreen window, click on the “Restore Window” icon, or if I’m running in a smaller window, click on the “Maximise” icon, and then click once more to go back to the size that I was running in). I don’t need to exit Roon to get the graphics back.

This is a computer hardware issue as I understand it.
I just open another desktop when I have Roon live with no performance issues.
So I can rip CD’s and put them into Roon, along with any other computer tasks whilst Roon is running.
This is easy on Windows 10. Chris

Sounds like a Windows driver related issue.
Is this maybe the same issue?

Blank Screen after minimizing Roon

I just updated the driver to the latest for HD 4000, but same deal. And yes, it looks like the same problem.

BTW, I’m finishing off a review for TechHive (IDG/PCWorld) that’s about Roon, but specifically in relation to using a NAS box as a server.

Windows 10. I can get the control/player app to work fine, but the minute it’s hidden or obscured, when I access it again, there’s a window frame but only blank white where the interface should be. It will continue the play if I set it to doing that.

Roon server is running on a QNAP HS-251, gigabit network. I had the twin Ethernet ports load balancing, but even with that disabled, I still have the issue. There is a fair amount of network traffic, but this isn’t just a slow or deferred redraw, it’s a never-happen.

Hi Jon,
I’ve moved your post into here with the other reports.

These’s also so things to try in this FAQ topic …

When I minimize Roon and reopen it, all I see is a blank screen, what’s going on?

Experiencing the same issue as everyone else, integrated graphics and no solution in sight…

Processor: Intel i3-3220
Graphics: HD Graphics 2500
Driver Version: 15.33.43.4425 (Latest) - 5/13/2016
Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Would it be a good idea to compare specs and find a deeper correlation?

I Have to restart roon client on windows 10. I am running roon server on a mac 1.2 154b. I am running roon client to control playback on a windows 10 home 64bit with all updates. Roon client on win 10 is 2.1 154b.
I open roon client and all is well. I leave in background and switch apps all is fine. If i minimize roon client and bring back up the roon window is blank. I must close roon client and reopen then all is fine unless I minimize client again. Mac server works fine and plays as expected and not affected and does not require any intervention. No error messages on windows client.

I’m afraid this is a known problem on some Windows systems. It is an issue with the (Intel) graphics driver. On some machines (e.g. mine), there is a workaround - just change the window size from fullscreen to windowed and back (or vice versa), and this clears the blank screen. It doesn’t work on all systems though.

1 Like

Sorry I missed that, thankx for the reply!

I’ve merged the posts into the existing support topic.