Roon Bridge - Project

I found myself a HP T630 thinclient with 32Gb SSD and 8Gb internal memory. CPU is a AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI Radeon R7E, 4 cores. I’ve installed Ubuntu Linux 22.04 and Roon bridge. It’s running perfectly!!! Via USB a Sennheiser BTD500 serves my Sony WH-1000XM3 wireless headphone. Even more fun is I’ve connected one of the thinclient displayports to the HDMI input of my Rotel RSP 1576 surroud processor, giving me now multichannel music capability. The Weeknd sounds realy amazing over 7 speakers and 2 subs :slight_smile: Another advantage of this thinclient is that it is fanless.

2 Likes

sorry to ask but are you using rooncore or just roon bridge? My understanding is that the brige is just an endpoint like a PI, isn’t it?

PS: I love the sticker!!! Where can you get something like that? (Is it roon ready :-))

I use Roon Bridge only on the thinclient. My core is Roon Rock on an Intel i7 NUC. The Intel NUC has a fan so I’ve placed it in a room where I cannot hear it. This thinclient is now in my livingroom where I listen music mostly. It’s indeed just an endpoint like the Raspberry PI. The sticker is nothing more than a downloaded JPG Roon logo I’ve printed on a small adhesive label :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers! Depending on your library I’m sure you could probably run ROCK/Linux ROON CORE on that computer

I’ve never tried printing on adhesive labels. I’ll give it a go!

Thanks for the insight!

Roon Core will run I guess. I’m not sure Rock will install and recognize the Displayports for multichannel audio output.

1 Like

Roonbridge setups require very little compute. Those sub 200 dollars windows mini PCs make great endpoints if you need to have windows driver’s for a specific DAC, for things like high rate DSD.

5 Likes

Or an eBay celeron NUC £65.

1 Like

In the meantime I’ve modified my T630 Endpoint by cutting a sticker on a vinyl cutter machine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have run rock on a gen3 nuc thin client as a zone for a number of years I no longer use it by it was a solid zone when in use.