Roon Bridge restarts every 86 minutes or so [Resolved - Static IP]

IPs are reserved on the router with a 120 minute lease time so doesn’t really fit with the 86-ish minute restart time of Roon Bridge.
However you have had a similar idea to what I had last night and before I went to bed I set a static IP/gateway on the Pi, the same as what’s reserved on the router… Roon Bridge stopped restarting, nuts.

Will do more fiddling but that looks like the cause of the problem.

Update:
Looks like @dylan hasn’t fully understood the last post here before closing the thread with “Static IP” but I’ll update with the actual cause/fix, it wasn’t setting a static IP address but that was a workaround.
So due to various activities in my tech lab I will often use a short DHCP lease time on my LAN, around 2 hours normally.

A while ago I must’ve decided to quickly expire all IP leases by setting the DHCP lease time on my router to 120 seconds and then forgot to put it back. That should be fine however, but for some reason such a short lease time was causing dhclient on Linux (whatever distro) to reconfigure the gateway address every 85-90 minutes or so which had a knock on effect of Roon Bridge and Roon Server crashing which should not happen. My home server which runs Roon Server/Core wasn’t affected which added to the confusion but with hindsight it was because my server doesn’t use DHCP.

After testing the Pi with DHCP again and with the DHCP server configured with 2 hour and 24 hour lease times for a couple of days the crashes/restarts have gone away even when the lease expires.
So my problem is solved, still this highlights a possible bug in Roon Server and Roon Bridge as they shouldn’t crash, no other software or service on my network was affected by this.

Hope that helps

1 Like