Roon Bridge shows in Settings/About but not in Settings/Audio

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC 11 Core i5 (ethernet)
Roon Bridge on Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS laptop (Wi-Fi)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

The switch is TP-Link TL-SG1024DE

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

9480 tracks in the library

Description of Issue

Not sure when this started but my laptop is no longer seen as an audio device. The laptop runs Roon on Bottles (Wine) and also has Roon Bridge installed.

The laptop is shown on the About page but not on the Audio page. Here is a piece of the About page (david-laptop is the endpoint of interest):

And here is where I’d expect it to appear on the Audio page. The other two Roon Bridge endpoints are shown, but not the laptop.

After these two, there is a section for david-laptop which shows this:

I also have a desktop computer which is also running Roon Bridge on Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS. That works fine (it is shown as sally in the screenshots). On that machine, if I run Roon (in Bottles, just the same) I see a section at the start of the Audio page for This PC.

But on the laptop, there is no This PC section and the first section is about the Core.

The situation seems to be the same as this other post, but I am using all the lastest production software.

I ran aplay -l and this is the output:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC1220 Digital [ALC1220 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

The output on the sally desktop machine is very similar and yet that Roon Bridge works.

Any idea how to get this working again?

To be clear, I want to play music on my laptop speakers. I do not have anything connected via USB or HDMI. It used to work until recently, but since I mostly use my laptop to control music on other players, I can’t say for sure how recently this stopped working.

Hey @bananasareyellow,

Following up on this thread, please try the following:

1. Refresh your RAAT server:

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder
  1. Please check the firewall settings on the Sally laptop and I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

An important note, the laptop running into issues does unfortunately fall out of the scope of official support, so we’ll need to move it into the #tinkering category where others from the community will be able to provide additional thoughts :+1:

Thanks for your reply.

Using smb access to my Roon ROCK, I renamed RAATServer to RAATServer_old and then restarted the server, creating a new RAATServer folder. This has fixed the problem, it seems. I’ll keep an eye on this over the next few days to see if it stays fixed.

Interestingly, the Audio tab was not affected and none of my DSP settings were lost.

I am not using Windows. The laptop that had the problem is running Roon Bridge on Linux. I don’t have any anti-virus software.

1 Like

It happened again two days ago. I had been away and using the Roon Server on my laptop. Then I returned home and switched back to the Roon ROCK in my house. The laptop was no longer listed as an audio device, although Roon Bridge on the laptop appeared on the About page.

This time, rather than renaming RAATServer, I went to the Roon ROCK web page and pressed the Reinstall button. This fixed it initially, but since then the laptop has disappeared again.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.