Roon Build 882 comments

Really …a Roon Problem? 882 went smooth as glass for me…not a hitch at all…but all my connections are wired except for my BlueTooth iPad remote.

Probably WIFI.

Lol, that what I ask our users first way too much. Usually the answer is no not yet :rofl:

1 Like

I get daily database corrupted messages that disappear with core reboots, so not sure what to do.
Also, better radio station streaming was temporary for me. Now streaming 192kB mp3 (KCRW.com) to even one endpoint (CCA or Chromecast Audio) continually cuts out, but if I use VRadio (an Android app), to Cast to 7 CCAs it works completely fine…

For all those still having issues, I would suggest reinstalling roon, and starting over with a new database.

This sounds drastic, but…

1. if you use tidal/qobuz, all your favorites, libraries, playlists (that are tied to or were created from those services) should still be there. Mine were.

2. if you have local files, once you point to them, they will populate your roon library. Mine did.

3. you might be surprised at how little you need to “fix”. It took a couple hours to fix some bad metadata and album/track/disc weirdness. These were all from local files that were ripped from CD. Might have been where an unreadable track was skipped, or it was confused by the number of discs or whatever. I will say that Roon’s method for editing is a drag, but once I got into the groove of it, and did it while watching some premier league footy, it wasn’t too bad.

The downside:

1. playlists that contain multiple sources (streaming + local) will be gonzo. You’ll have to recreate those. I have a few playlists that i’m gonna have to rebuild, but I can do that over time, and use the opportunity to refine and revamp them.

2. play history and counts, tags, personal ratings, those will be gonzo. Oh well.

The upside:

1. you know you’ll have a good database

2. you’ll be able to listen again

I was super crabby when it happened, but I’ve moved on. It’ll be ok.

for the record, I have 50,000 tracks in my library. 40,000 in tidal/qobuz, and 10,000 local/ripped files. I’m a lifetime Roon subscriber, and have used roon for nearly three years. I rely on it heavily for all my digital streaming and local files. Occasionally I’ll still play a CD, but once ripped, I use roon 99% of the time. (When I’m not playing records.)

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve had to do exactly this a couple times in the three years that I’ve used Roon. I was angry angry angry at first, and then got into the groove of it and got it done. Last time I lost everything a year ago I got out my old Media Monkey license and updated folder structure of my FLACs just for kicks. That made the “reinstall process” pretty painless. I’m (a) an optimist by nature, and (b) not someone who does tons of customization within Roon for exactly this reason. I still backup and never want to go through this again, but it’s not going to break my relationship with Roon if and when I “lose everything” again.

Many of you feel differently, especially if you’ve developed super-detailed local customizations of data. Personally I hope we can move more and more in the direction of Art Director where my changes, if adopted, become “part of the Roon community cloud” so the gap becomes less and less. But that’s my perspective, and hoo boy I know many would disagree.

Also, please don’t interpret me as saying “just get over it”. What many have just gone through absolutely sucks. I have deep empathy. But I’ve gone through it twice and would go through it again (Not frequently, but maybe once every couple of years) for all the advantages and benefits Roon gives me. I hope you’re all on the way to a recovery and a properly working system.

4 Likes

Build 880 caused me a lot of trouble with devices dropping off the available list, 882 has fixed it and all is well.

2 Likes

All Roon defined playlists would be gone whether they are multiple sources or single source, I’m not sure what you are getting at their. Maybe you are thinking of Local playlists defined outside of Roon are okay and streaming playlists are okay.

We have to be careful not to minimize the loss to people, it is very situational. Some people have put years of effort into tags and playlists and appreciate the playcounts. I have long considered this the “Roon lock in” similar to what you get with streaming services.

I just play full albums. Solves that problem.

on the playlists, yeah… I think I had a few that were from tidal/qobuz (curated by the service but saved from roon) that survived. (I could see them both in Roon and if I looked at the tidal app.) And the ones that I created IN the tidal app, I know survived. Not being able to go back to see what was there, yeah, I guess I am going from memory, which is usually suspect.

I totally am not trying to minimize anyone’s loss. Simply putting it into perspective. Like I said, i was really mad when I thought I’d lost everything. But once I came to accept it, and went ahead and rebuilt things, I felt better. I’m not Roon saying “get over it.” I’m simply another user who found a way through the pain and misery.

Like any loss. It’s normal to grieve, but it’s also healthy to move forward.

2 Likes

Agreed. I restored my system and c: drive and low and behold the 882 release updated my last running Roon before I could change the update option and the update went fine and converted my database (which they say was corrupted) in less than a minute withour issue. Up and running on the 882 version with no issures so far…First thing I did was export all my playlists.

I don’t know is Build 882 sounds better or not, but it seems addictive.

1 Like