Roon can’t see my B&W Formation Duos [Resolved - Network reboot]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS Mojave / 13” MacBook Pro 2016 2GHz Core i5 / Roon Version 1.7 (build 667)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Bell Wifi 1.5gbps Fibe Homehub 3000

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

B&W Formation Duo - Wifi

Description Of Issue

After 12 days of use, my Formation Duos have disappeared as an audio device. I’ve reinstalled Roon, restarted the Formation Duos, even did a factory reset of the Formation Duos. Still nothing. This is very frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?

I’ve recently setup a new roon instance and paired it with 2 Formation Flex (adding bass this week). My focus would be on the network. Rebooting all devices is more likely to solve issues rather than reinstalling or resetting.

First step is to make sure the duos are configured correctly via the B&W mobile app. Make sure they each produce a tone when asked. This confirms that the B&W mesh is working correctly and then the name you give them should show up as a zone in Roon.

At first I had some trouble connecting solidly but worked out the bugs and it’s 100% solid now. Some hints:

1. Make sure that Roon and your Duos are on the same network or they won’t see each other.
  2. Use a cat-5 cable to connect your roon to your router (wifi less solid).
  3. I went as far as configuring static IPs for the Flex MAC addresses. I move mine around a bit and when they power back up they always have the same ‘address’ on the network making it easier for the Formation app to find em and reconnect them as a pair.
  4. At first I had Roon putting them to sleep after being inactive but I turned that off and just let the speakers go into hibernation themselves.

Without knowing any other specifics of your network this is the best I can offer.
Hope it helps and that you get it worked out. Well worth it.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for responding. Congratulations on the flex purchases. I hope I can address some of the things you mentioned. Duos are set up correctly, both will play a tone. I’ve rebooted everything multiple times.

1. They are definitely connected to the same network.
  2. I don’t have cat-5. I can try it. My wifi network is 1.5 gigabit and pretty rock solid. Has no problems streaming anything.
  3. I’m not sure how to do that. Forgive me, I’m not the most tech savvy.
  4. I’d be happy to set that up once Roon can actually find them again.

It’s weird because Roon sees my HomePods and Apple TV and the Apple TV can see the Duos via Airplay. It’s just that they’ve disappeared from Roon.

I forgot one thing. Dumb question: Are the Duos enabled in Roon: Settings > Audio? if they’re not shown there (I can see mine as “Roon Ready” and “Other network Devices” via AirPlay.) then I don’t know what the issue is. Sorry. (One time I lost mine too and realized for some reason they weren’t enabled when I know they were before then… haven’t had that issue since) With others seeing them the problem is definitely on the Roon side.

#2 and #3 above were optimizations. shouldn’t need either to make a basic connection to the Duos.

#3 requires you to go into the admin area of your router and configure the IP addresses in there. Not to worry.

Good luck.

Hi Joe!

Thanks for trying so thoroughly to help me. I ended up having to reboot my modem twice and that finally did it. I don’t know why but I’m glad it did. Now fingers crossed it doesn’t happen again.

I appreciate it.

Glad it’s working. I can only imagine what it sounds like! Congrats on the Duos.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.