Roon cannot connect to "This PC" audio devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Core: Nuc i7-5557 16GB
This machine: Ryzen 7 2700S 32GB. Both running 1.7 (build 511)
Both Windows 10 up to date

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet. Both machines plugged into same Netgear switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Speakers plugged into motherboard “Line out”.

Description Of Issue
Roon running fine with iPad control and with another windows 10 machine (Intel chip), so the core is fine… On this (Ryzen) machine, I can select and play to remote output devices just fine, and this instance of Roon also properly allows me to browse my music. But I cannot use the local speakers. What happens is that, if I’m reading the core log file correctly the core (well, raatserver) asks (this instance of) Roon for the list of local audio devices, which the core gets, and these devices are displayed in settings>Audio but for only 10 seconds. Then core gives up because there’s no communication with Roon, and the space below “This PC” goes blank. Here’s what it looks like in those first 10 seconds after starting Roon.

And then that area is blank. I have done a complete removal (as far as I know) of Roon and a reinstall. I have turned off the firewall and virus software, to no avail. Where should I look to fix this?

There were reports in the past about problems with Realtek drivers. You should check on the Realtek home page if there are newer drivers available for your PC.

Thanks. I think I need to use the driver package from Asus, and I’ve tried that. But, your suggestion prompted me to just delete the Realtek drivers and at least Roon works now. I’d like to figure out if there is a way to get some of the Realtek driver installed (I presume it does something useful) but at least now I can tinker. Consider this problem more or less solved.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.