Roon cannot queue more than 5100 tracks at a time

Hi

I’m on the latest version of Roon and Roon server running on a 12th gen i7 32GB PC with Windows 11. I have about 103000 tracks in my library. ANY other software such as Foobar2000 or Jriver can play all of my tracks in sequential or random order w/o a problem, but Roon will only load about 5050 tracks to the queue no matter what I do. In sequential playback, this gets me to the letter A.

Is this a bug? I already tried clean Windows 11 and Roon installations. But the problem persists.
Roon is also very sluggish to respond (unlike Jriver which is capable of browsing through my entire 100K+ tracks withing seconds).

Why would Roon refuse to load all of my tracks like Jriver? Please see a video screen capture of the issue

Thanks

1 Like

The queue is limited to 5000 tracks. There is at least one feature request for longer queue if you want to add your vote to that.

1 Like

As far as I understand, the 5000-track limit only applied to shuffle playback, not the sequential “all tracks” playback.

1 Like

mine is limited to 9300 or something around this number
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.15.26

and a little bit less for shuffle
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.16.08

I suspect that there are some tracks that choke the loading
I did test on a Keith Jarrett composition. Select all from the composition page and add to playlist. There were fewer tracks on the playlist. Until I found one track that was stopping the loading. After removing that from the selection the playlist loaded much more tracks (I do not remember if all). I found no evident properties for that track to understand why it did that.

@killdozer maybe can provide more info as I know he did test with huge queues

1 Like

There can be something like this as the next shuffle from the tracks home page gives me another number

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.25.28
And so on:
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.26.18

And looks like I can add to the queue

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.27.07
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.28.20
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 12.33.06

So a 60$ software like Jriver is more powerful and robust than $800 software? Jriver will allow me to scroll through my entire 104000 tracks from start to end at once and play them all in any order… This makes no sense.

Now it would not be fair to judge any app from a single point of view.

No app is perfect and sometimes I need more of them to get my work done. An all in one app is an ideal but likely not technically possible.

But every user chooses his apps depending on their needs, prefs, money, etc

2 Likes

I think I remembered a v1.8 limit. Getting old :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Being reasonable again :wink:

2 Likes

I can confirm that I did have some real fun and games with a pathologically long queue at some 30K+ tracks and more than a month’s playtime. This resulted from a misguided attempt to listen to all the music I owned but had never played in Roon. I stopped when this happened:

There were other oddities as well. Play history stopped working days before. If your developer minded, a peruse of the Roon node web API gives some hints as to why this might cause issues. I suspect that Roon is “state heavy” on the core some…

2 Likes

No. They just have a different set of compromises.
If your use case demands that you can queue 104k tracks, use JRiver…

3 Likes

Really I’m failing before roon.
So I attempt to break it by pressing shuffle.
Looks like he can do it so that gives me power to try more?

Along with the UI from hell, I gave up on it in about 2013.

… but you don’t need to queue 104k tracks… :wink:

1 Like

Select an album to play and then allow Roon Radio to kick in but only to use your library. :+1:

4 Likes

The above is quite fun. One moment you’re listening to a jazz classic, the next thrash metal and so on.

A Roon musical journey through your library.

There’s a way to do album shuffling with this

1 Like

I give up before I can break it

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 14.50.00

2 Likes

Show off :crazy_face:

1 Like

Still better than any radio :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I feel like I have to apologise to @Eli_Barbie

This floated away from your original post. I get your frustration

Try a work around, to split your list in to genre or years. I know is settling for 1/2 of your goal but it happens
Enjoy :notes: