Roon cannot read my portable hard drive though my computer can

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro (2017, 16 GB Memory, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor, macOS Ventura), external hard drive Seagate 4 TB containing my music collection via USB-C cable.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

The MacBook can read the hard drive, I can see all the files and use the hard drive for computer backups. The music folder contains about 28,500 files. However, Roon cannot access the folder. When I go to settings → storage, it shows the folder ‘Seagate 4 TB’ but gives the message ‘Error loading folder Unauthorized’.
Did anyone encounter similar problems?

Can you help? Thanks.

I use a Seagate 8tb in similar fashion and Roon has no problems.
It sounds like you have some permissions checked in Windows on this drive though for network access.
Can you go through them and see what there is that could be stopping Roon seeing it.

Not sat at my PC unfortunately so can’t tell you exactly what to look for but it will be some permission I feel.

Edit , I see you are using macos so whatever the equivalent folder permissions are for that…not a Mac user.

Welcome to the Roon community, @Thomas_Machold.

Please have a look at this post.

Thank you very much for tips and ideas, Gentlemen.
I checked my macOS settings as recommended by Martin and found ‘Removable Volumes’ was on. However, I noticed under the "Files and Folders’ category another one called ‘Full Disk Access’

Roon was not switched on under this category. So I switched it on and now it works. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, both of you. You led me to the right path.

Much appreciated.

Regards,
Thomas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.