Roon can't find Squeezebox devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Roon version 1.7, build 610 (latest version as of today’s date)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All devices are wired ethernet. Three Squeezebox devices worked flawlessly with LMS server, all on same wired subnet (192.168.0.X).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Squeezebox Touch.

Description Of Issue

Help! I can’t get Squeezebox support to work with Roon. I have two Squeezebox Touch and one Squeezebox Classic, and they worked flawlessly over wired Ethernet talking to a LMS server. My goal is to replace my LMS server with Roon, running on the same system. Per your instructions, I completely disabled LMS on the host system. I completely disabled all Firewalls inside my internal network. I rebooted the Squeezeboxes after disabling LMS and enabling Squeezebox support in Roon. Regardless, when searching for Squeezebox audio points in Roon, the app just spins. No devices are ever found.

Please help diagnose how to get my Squeezebox devices to work with Roon. This is the primary use for Roon for me. If Squeezebox doesn’t work, I will have to abandon Roon.

What do you mean by “the app spins”? Where are you looking for the squeezeboxes? Did you find and enable them under the “Audio” section of “Settings”?

Thanks for the quick reply!

When I say that the “application spins”, that means that the application is stuck in a busy-wait state in which is searching for Squeezebox devices for an hours, without success. (An “application spinning” is a euphemism in my circles for a busy wait cursor that indicates a process that never completes.)

The Squeezebox devices are physically wired via ethernet (as is the PC running Roon) on the same subnet (192.168.0.X).

I enabled Squeezbox support in one tab and then searched for devices in the Audio tab, per the instructions found online. No problem there.

I’m hoping that someone from Roon will also chime in. Community support is great (and much appreciated) from a community-supported and community-build and developed products. For a commercial product, though, (especially one priced as Roon is) I would also expect some level of commercial support.

I’ve been a Squeezebox user for many years, and have no plans to give up the wonderful devices. I hope Roon will work properly with these devices, else Roon will say bye-bye in my household.

Hi Bruce,

You stated that you enabled Squeezebox support in Roon. Have you tried step 4 of the Roon/Squeezebox KB troubleshooting suggestion?

If your device was associated with a previous Roon Core, you may need to go to My Music -> Switch Library on the Squeezebox device itself to associate it with a new Core.

This can be found on your Squeezebox controller hardware.

1 Like

Yep, choose different library on SB end-point’s and all will be discovered by Roon flawlessly.

Naw, I don’t think I’m interested in futzing around with this product anymore. If I’d had access to the support page and viewed all the problems people have encountered, I wouldn’t have even bothered with a trial. If problems like “having to log in each time after a Windows update” and “playlists disappearing” are showing up so often, I’m not interested in Roon.

Hi @Bruce_Votipka,

This is Noris from Roon Labs Support here, thanks for your patience while your case reached my queue!

As @jb76 mentioned, on the Squeezebox devices themselves you’ll need to go to My Music -> Switch Library and point the Squeezebox devices to the Roon Core. Then you should be able to enable and get them working in Roon Settings -> Audio.

If you have any issues after pointing them to the Roon Core, please just let me know and I can assist further, thanks!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Squeezebox 2 Classic - Roon looks like it’s playing but no sound