Roon Client Freezes

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Dell G5 5500
i7 10750H
16GB RAM
8GB RTX 2070
Windows 10 Pro 20H2
2 days old machine.
Roon client and server build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Roon Server is running on a different machine, working properly.
Successfully connecting to it from other endpoints and clients.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Irrelevant.

Description Of Issue

Installing Roon client works as expected. Closing and opening and playing works as expected.
After some time Roon client just freezes. The window is shown as unresponsive.
Only after deleting the installation folder and reinstalling the client it works as expected.
Roon works fine on my other Windows 10 Pro 20H2 machines.

Logs available in https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k2BfWhaJFx2dQHHI9llfLOyioDj_cQtI/view?usp=sharing

I tried assigning the both the integrated GPU and the nvidia GPU to Roon, but I got the same results.

Currently the only solution I can find is to delete Roon and reinstall it.

Sorry to say this, but dont ever buy Dell laptop. Some Dell laptops use an Embedded Controller (EC) to set extremely restrictive power limits. There is no software available to get around this problem. I have a bad feeling that ThrottleStop is not going to be able to do very much to help. If you have any Dell fan control or similar software on your computer, uninstall it.

You can try flash your bios backwards and instal throttlestop, but I think it doesnt help. Your model seems to be the “one not to buy”. :smiley:

edit. If you install throttlestop and send your logs to me I can say if there is anything you can do.

edit2. If you can return your pc now.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see any relation between my question and your answer.

Roon doesn’t freeze at startup because of any throttling issues.

And I’ve had several Dell laptops, and I can agree with the throttling issues, but I never had a Roon freeze.

You have new Dell laptop with i7-10thg. Thats very big problem. Just google it for 30min and you believe me.

Again, there’s no relation.

Roon doesn’t start up. It doesn’t not start up because my computer is slow. Or because it’s fast.

It doesn’t start up because there’s some problem with Roon. Or the driver. Or whatever.

Ok. I just want to say, remember that.

!. Verify that your drivers are up to date.
2. Try the 32 bit client and see if that makes a difference.

Can you run one cinebench r20 test? https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/
I can get 3267 with my 9750h.

Will it solve my room freezes?

No, but it tells you that you should return your laptop.

Did you try my suggestions?

Yes. Drivers are all updated.
I installed the 32-bit client, and it worked until it froze again.

Hi @maoravni,

Thanks for reaching out and for your patiecne while your case reached my queue!
I took a look at logs and I’m not seeing anything that points towards the issue.

Do you notice the issue occurring only after accessing a specific tab or album in Roon?
You can also check Windows Event Viewer for more clues, instructions below:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs for support staff

Hi noris,
Eventually Roon and some other minor quirks in the windows installation led me to format the machine and install a plain-vanilla windows on it, and not the Dell version that came with the machine.

This apparently solved the Roon issue as well, but I’m not convinced yet. I’ll give it a few more days.

Thanks.

1 Like

That might do it. Dells and other machines can come with a lot of pre-installed software. The first thing I do is make a clone of the original drive, then install a vanilla OS.

Hi @maoravni,

Thanks for the update here!
Do let us know how further testing goes.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.