Roon Client on macOS high memory usage

Roon Server Machine

Intel NUC8i5. Roon server is runs in a docker environment installed on PhotonOS on ESXi.
4CPUs and 8GB of RAM for the VM Roon is installed on.
Roon Server build 1365

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon Server (Intel NUC) and Roon Client Mac mini) are connected via a Cisco CBS350 switch.

Connected Audio Devices

Mac mini M2 Pro 16Gb RAM
macOS 14.3
Roon Client build 1365
Topping D10 balanced

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Right after startup memory usage of Roon on MacOS is below 1GB. After some days memory usage goes up to 16GB. See screenshot:

A restart of Roon Client solves the issue. After some days memory usage is again 16GB

I recommend daily reboot of roon

But the issue occurs on a Roon client. Not on the Roon Server. Why should a reboot of Roon help here?

Because it is faster afterwards
Client restart did not fix it for me
Its so easy

Did you try it?

Maybe there are multiple bugs

yes, I have tried.

The restart of Roon Server does’t help at all. The memory consumption of the client increases independent from that.

After restarting the client it’s memory consumption return to a normal amount → less than 1GB

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

Ben with support here, thanks for writing in and apologies for the long delay in getting to your thread!

Unfortunately, Roon running in a docker environment falls outside of the scope of official Roon support.

That said, what happens if you temporarily run Roon Server on the Mac Remote? See if you can reproduce the issue in this environment.

With that, where are you storing your music? Is any stored locally on the Mac Mini, or attached via USB?

Let me know how the above goes. Thanks! :pray:

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I don't like how the product works

Roon Client on macOS high memory usage

I had already posted the issue in this thread, but the issue was not processed because of my docker environment.

@benjamin,
In the meantime I have shifted the Roon Server to an Ubuntu environment. The issue is still the same. Please see the screenshot.

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

Thanks for sharing the above info - I was wondering if you had the chance to test out my previous request as well:

Also:

Thanks!

The music is stored on a qnap NAS. I mounting the file share in Roon Server directly.

What is the benefit of running running Roon Server on my Mac Mini? That doesn‘t meet my requirements. I need to run Roon Server on a machine that up 24/7.

Best regards

Michael

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

Our development team is curious if the same issue occurs when the Mac Mini is serving as your server - there isn’t a specific benefit to this setup, it would be helpful for our analysis on the issue.

Thanks!

Hello Benjamin,

At moment I don’t have time to move over my Roon server to the Mac Mini. But I guess that Ralf’s post shows that the issue also occurs if the server is running on a Mac:

Best regards

Michael

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

Until you can set your Roon Server up in a way that falls within the scope of support, there isn’t much I’m able to proceed with. Let me know when things change and I’ll be more than happy to help. :+1:

Hi Benjamin,

please see my post #15.

To get back to on the supported path I have switched from the docker environment to Ubuntu.

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

Our records are showing your Roon Server is actively running on a VM. Specifically:

VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform

If you’re able to change this, certainly let me know.

Hi Benjamin,

unfortunately that’s nothing I can change. I am using an Intel NUC with ESXi. On one of the VMs Roon Server is installed on a Ubuntu Server.

Best regards

Michael

Hi @Michael_Kletzin,

We wish we had the bandwidth as a team to support the multitude of VMs, but enterprise-class hypervisors are outside of the scope of support for Roon. There should be expert users in Tinkering who can assist you.

Hi @connor,

This is absolutely disappointing and frustrating. I reported the problem for the first time Feb. 8th. I already told you which infrastructure I was using. Benjamin told me that the Roon server runs in a Docker environment and that this is not supported by Roon. Ok, this is understandable for me. After all, you do not provide an official Docker container for Roon. In order to get support, I have moved my Roon server to an Ubuntu installation. Now it is suddenly also a problem that Ubuntu is running in an ESXi environment. Sorry, from the customer’s point of view this is not very understandable:

• In your knowledge base, you recommend an up-to-date Linux distribution - which is exactly what I use.
  • The actual problem does not occur on the server. It’s on my Mac Mini M2 pro. The Roon client is currently using 12GB of memory again. Roon Client on MacOS is supported, isn’t it? So why don’t have closer look to that?
  • I don’t have the impression that you have even looked at the issue. Instead, you are rather looking for reasons not to solve the problem.

Best regards

Michael

1 Like

Have been having similar issues for a few months despite multiple updates.

My M2 Mac is rendered pretty much useless about once a week when Roon (client) climbs to use 50GB+ of memory. Not something I want to manually check on.

Can support confirm that this is indeed a server issue? It seems very odd that the client is so brittle and vulnerable to that… Although maybe not with how riddled with bugs the client is and has always been.

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one with that issue.

Are you still facing the issue?
Which hardware platform are you using on server side?