Roon Client Wont Start on Win 10 - Has Been Working

I have the same problem this morning, when I tried to use a Win10 laptop that I sheldom use: Roon was working ok a few weeks ago, but can’t be launched anymore…
Reinstalling Roon didn’t fix the problem.

I’ll wait for @Dave_Lawie to get a solution and not waste time providing logs etc.

1 Like

Hey @Dave_Lawie,

Thanks for giving that a go. I realized that in my research that updating windows may not always update the .NET version with it. As a next step, can you please test out downloading/updating this on your Windows device?

Thanks!

I downloaded 4.8.1, no change. Also tried run as admin, no different

Hi @Dave_Lawie,

Thank you for your patience with troubleshooting so far.

Just to verify, have you turned off Compatibility Mode as @Geoff_Coupe suggested above? We’ve reviewed the case further and suspect this may be the culprit. Barring corrupt system files or hardware issues on the machine itself, something in the OS has to be reporting an incompatible version to Roon.

We’ll respond promptly from there with next steps.

Yes, compatibility mode is turned off in the properties.

1 Like

Hey @Dave_Lawie,

Thanks so much for your continued patience. Our team investigated your issue again today, and have a few next steps to try.

The first being an OS reinstall on your ROCK. You can do this by accessing the webUI of your ROCK:

Be sure not to have Roon running on any devices when performing the above. Let me know if your issue persists after this. :+1:

Ok, did that - still no change.
Windows wanted to update the .net framework so i did that, no change
I also installed the new Rock, and no change
re-installed that, no change
downloaded the new desktop client, after uninstalling the previous version - no change
Also tried running as admin.

the log looks the same as before
06/14 18:24:12 Info: Starting Roon v2.0 (build 1277) production on windows
06/14 18:24:12 Info: Local time is 14/06/2023 6:24:12 PM, UTC time is 14/06/2023 10:24:12 AM
06/14 18:24:12 Trace: [roondns] loaded 1 last-known-good entries
06/14 18:24:12 Info: [URI] Checking that FriendlyAppName == Roon
06/14 18:24:12 Info: Registering for URI scheme: Roon, roon
06/14 18:24:12 Info: URI scheme executable path remains “C:\Users\lawie\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\200001277\Roon.dll” “%1”
06/14 18:24:12 Trace: [bits] myinfo: {“os”:“Windows 10”,“platform”:“windows”,“machineversion”:200001277,“branch”:“production”,“appmodifier”:“”,“appname”:“Roon”}
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: Checking if we are already running
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: Nope, we are the only one running
06/14 18:24:13 Info: Is 64 bit? True
06/14 18:24:13 Info: Loading broo project: ui.broox
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: [realtime] fetching time from NTP server
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: [realtime] Got time from NTP: 14/06/2023 10:24:13 AM UTC (3895727053273ms)
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: [broo/imagecache] loaded 0 cache entries from C:\Users\lawie\AppData\Local\Roon\Cache\brooimages_1\index.db, current: 512mb / 0mb
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: [realtime] Updated clock skew to -00:00:00.4981218 (-498.1218ms)
06/14 18:24:13 Trace: [orbit] init seq=0, pending=0, spcount=7, uidcount=0

To me this seems to be a Windows issue, not ROCK. (NOTE: BACK UP What IS Important To You)

With Administrative Rights from the Command prompt, Run Chkdsk /r /f. (This part can take a while)

With Administrative Rights from the Command prompt, Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. (This part is quick)

With Administrative Rights from the Command prompt, Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth. (This part can take a while)

With Administrative Rights from the Command prompt, Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. (This part can take a while)

REBOOT

With Administrative Rights from the Command prompt, Run SFC /Scannow. (This part can take a while)

REBOOT

Re-Install Roon.
DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management ) is a built-in tool which can dig out the messed up files, and traces out faulty changes in files.

The (System File Checker) sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder.

Hope this helps.
–MD

Thanks for that, I went though those steps - still wont start, including starting in Admin mode. As a sanity check, i dug out my old Win10 laptop and it starts fine, updated itself to the latest version etc. Everything works apart from this desktop. I can live with it, but it is just bizarre.

2 Likes

I wish that would have worked for you.

Did you try creating a new user profile?

–MD

User profile in Roon?

A new user Profile in Windows with Administrative Rights. Once you are logged into this new profile, re-install Roon. This will change nothing in your primary account.

Go to Settings
Then Accounts
Then Family & other users
Add someone else to this PC and then Change Account type

Then

Roon-change-account-type1

Then

Roon-change-account-type3

Select Administrator and then reboot PC.

Then re-install Roon in this New Account.

Hope this helps.

–MD

Made a ‘Roon’ account and installed it. Still wont start (and the log file looks no different). One thing you can say is that it’s consistent.

1 Like

Bummer - :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

–MD

1 Like

Hey @Dave_Lawie,

This is certainly a head-scratcher, I’m sorry to hear you’re still not able to get Roon set up properly on your Windows machine.

In the meantime, it sounds like doing a reinstall of the RoonServer Application Files (while leaving the Settings and Databases unchecked) allows RoonServer to start again.

You can give this suggestion a try from your Windows Apps & Features menu:

Thread here: RoonServer failing to start on Windows 10/11 after build 1272 update [Roon Investigating, workaround in thread] - #12

Let me know :pray:

my server is running on a NUC, so i reinstalled that using the web page controls, reinstalled the client, re-booted the router. The log file looks benign. I tested pinging the nuc from the pc where the desktop client is in no problem with that. Apart from this PC, roon is running fine on the other devices.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Dave_Lawie,

The issue does appear to be .NET related, but I don’t yet have a direct solution for you. I do see we have a high-priority ticket in with development that seems to be related to the issues you’re having.

I don’t have a timeline to share yet, but I can keep you updated as things progress.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.