Roon Clients Hanging When Connected to Core with Database (ref#MVHNXL)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Description of Issue

Roon Clients hang once connected to core with my database

Roon Core Platform

Windows

Roon Core Specifications

Windows 10 Pro (22H2)
Intel(R) Core™ i3-4330 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz 16.0 GB RAM

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound node 3
ifi zen stream

Home Network Details

Netgear 1G switch

@Michael_Chavel, can you provide any additional information on what you mean by

Can you post any screenshots of what you are experiencing?

All ios clients on multiple devices hang on the statup/splash screen. Like this:

I have reinstalled roon server fresh and the problem goes away until i reimport my database backup and the the problem returns. I don’t want to lose my database data favorites, playlists, etc.

What version of Roon (i.e., the Build number) have you installed for your Roon Server, and do you know the Build numbre from which the Roon backup was created? Does Roon work at least on the computer you are using as a Roon Server?

RoonServer v2.0 (build 1311)

The roon server is headless, so there is no client on the server. All I have on server is roon server logs. No logs on client.

The current production Build is 1353 for Roon Server and the GUI Remote on Windows and Macs, while 1352 is the release for Android/iOS. I am wondering if you have a Server/Remote mismatch as I believe the database was updated after 1311.

Also, Roon now installs Roon Server by default and separates the Server from the Remote GUI per these release notes:

Have you tried updating to 1353?

I shutdown Roon server.
Renamed my C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\RoonServer directory
uninstalled Roon server.
Installed the latest Roon (build 1353). Remote clients could connect to roon core.
I then restored db from backup, which Roon said was successful.
After relaunching Roon the remote clients saw the new roon core but would hang after connecting same as before. The client on the same PC as the server hangs the same.

It appears, and I’m not the expert here, that there may be some issue with the backup file. Do you have any other backups you could try?

I have tried several all with the same result. I am hoping there is a better way to diagnose what exactly is wrong and fix.

I am tagging @support for you. They will respond to you as they work through their queue.

Hi @Michael_Chavel,

Thanks for writing in, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with a recent backup. Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue or poor performance occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

I uploaded Roon server logs from 11/25/2023. Here is a timeline of events:

11:20: I installed the latest Roon build 1353
When install was complete I was able to use local roon client to select music library and connect roon devices.
11:52: I connected from iphone client (192.168.1.124) and was able to see music library and roon devices
11:54: I restored backup and relaunched roon
After that I iphone client app (192.268.1.124) was able to select roon core, but hung on splash screen. unable to see/access anything.
local roon client also hung on splash screen.

Hi @Michael_Chavel,

Thanks for sending that over!

Something that’s odd here, your server and remotes haven’t been seen from our servers for 9 days. Can you provide a bit more detail around your network setup?

Would you be able to temporarily simplify this setup and get a direct ethernet connection from your server to your router? Bypass all network gear for now.

With that, can you confirm the below are listed as proper exceptions in your windows firewall:

roonserver.exe
raatserver.exe
roonappliance.exe

Thanks!

I had it shutdown It was useless to me without a client. I started it back up for you. Firewall is open for
roonserver.exe
raatserver.exe
roonappliance.exe
Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi @Michael_Chavel,

Thanks for that.

As a next step, could you please temporarily disable your VMware and let me know if the same issue persists?

I’m seeing some interesting errors in relation to Qobuz within your account. While our team further investigates these issues, could you attempt your process, but exclude Qobuz and see if the same issue occurs?

Thanks!

VMware unistalled, server rebooted and same the issue persists.

Hi @Michael_Chavel,

Thanks for giving that a try. I’ve added your issue to our development queue for further investigation. I should have more information to share soon.

In the meantime, it would be useful to get a copy of the troublesome database, if you could please zip it up and upload it here: https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/gnhz54df9ddffa33d49a3be8619bd6376a5de/external

Thanks!

I shutdown roon server, zipped up the database, and uploaded it.

Hi @Michael_Chavel,

Something else to try - can you attempt to remove the qobuz cache file from the troublesome database? Steps are below:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs