Roon completely broken after update

I can’t upgrade. I have software that requires Windows 7 still.
I have a Intel Core i5 Haswell CPU, SSD for OS, WD Red drive for other data. None showing errors. Everything happpy as hell until the 880 update.

As said, Plex and other services (including Windows Media Center) all running fine. Roon now won’t even find audio devices it used to.

How about making the old version available just to prove it is the update? I’ll test it for you.
-Alan

3 Likes

Hi. It seems Windows 10 Threshold line (v1507 / v1511) is also affected by Roon update having database corruption and no audio device also.

Some older Mac and Linux devices also have similar problems. I hope Roon can release an update that fixes the incompatibility with older hardware devices soon.

Regards,
Keetakawee

2 Likes

If anyone has actually worked around the corruption issue by successfully restoring an old backup, please post here. Until and unless someone reports success with that strategy, that recommendation isn’t even worth attempting.

2 Likes

I’m afraid it’s not possible. Even setup a new core from scratch still have this bug. And database was actually fine. Rolling back to build 831 can work smoothly enough. So the issue is about build 880 failing to work properly in some environment setups.

2 Likes

Can I have a refund as it worked without issue until this update?

2 Likes

This Day will be Known As RooNPocolypse … my NimitraS is a Windows 10 heavily modified headless computer … and 2 separate backups on 2 separate USB thumb drives run at 4 am and 5 am DAILY … … so I seriously hope my 3 years of playlists and Tags …are all unmolested …so when you get your act together and fix RooN … it will be all back to Normal …

2 Likes

Thats what the guy who designed my core server says too. That its a bug in the installer or something. I’m not trashing my database to play around with BS solutions.

2 Likes

I installed the old version of Roon again and managed to restore a fresh backup. I luckily had the old RoonInstallationfile still on my pc. No way I’m going back to 1880. That cost me half a year to manage my 80000 files again. Lost my iPhone as a remote (it’s on the new 1880), cause there’s no downgrading as I know of.

1 Like

Logically, this makes a lot of sense – you took an update and now you are corrupt, therefore the update caused the corruption, right?

But Build 880 did not cause corruption, it exposed the corruption that you already had.

Downgrading to an old build won’t help – All of your backups will still be corrupt, you’ll never be able to take an update, and eventually you will get this screen and be in exactly the same position you are today.

Build 880 seeks to solve this problem by detecting database integrity issues “on the fly” – that way you don’t make corrupt backups and have one you can restore if need be.

2 Likes

I keep hearing from all the different reports in the different threads that all sorts of OS versions are having issues - Windows 7 and 10, MacOS, QNAP, …

So at the moment it seems the advice to try a different backup, or even upgrade your OS, is potentially false hope.
-Alan

“I installed the old version of Roon again and managed to restore a fresh backup. I luckily had the old RoonInstallationfile still on my pc. No way I’m going back to 1880. That cost me half a year to manage my 80000 files again. Lost my iPhone as a remote (it’s on the new 1880), cause there’s no downgrading as I know of.”

Intersting. How have you kept it from automatically updating to 880?

Thank You Keetakawee for keeping NimitraS users … aware and knowing what is going ON …
Hopefully a RooN Team of Software Engineer’s are working as we speak to FIX THIS CRAP … they broke RooN … and we who love RooN are NOT exactly all smiles and in The Holiday Spirit right NOW …

In setup there’s an option if you want to auto update or just have a warning.

1 Like

I can buy that… but there’s other issues as well, particularly the “no audio devices” that I and others are seeing even on a fresh install (and even non-Windows7).
-Alan

Every setup & library is different – some folks are massive collectors with huge databases, others have a few hundred albums. It’s important to take this on a case-by-case basis, try the suggestions we’ve made, then let us know how it goes.

That makes no sense … You Broke RooN … if 3 years of my of 2 current separate location nightly backups …can NOT be used to restore my Data Base I may not be a RooN anymore

4 Likes

Just making sure we’re on the same page – when you install fresh are you still trying to restore a backup? Or it’s completely fresh, no attempt to restore a backup?

If it’s the latter, this would be really strange to see on a Windows 10 machine that meets the minimum requirements, and I’ll make sure the team looks into it.

It’s not just database corruption but audio device won’t be detected at all also. And even if it’s true that build 880 exposes corruption that already have, setting up from scratch also have this issue after restarting Roon core. So, seriously something is wrong with build 880 for older hardware/software environment. At least I can confirm this on Celeron J1900 processor running Windows 10 v1511.

If you can test Roon 1.8 build 880 on Celeron J1900 processor running Windows 7 or Windows 10 v1511, you’ll see the same issues I’m reporting and there’s no way to make this stable even with clean install. It’s not just my case but some Mac Mini and Linux PC devices also have these issues. Please fix this soon.

1 Like

It’s completely fresh. I tried uninstalling Roon, remove every Roon and RAAT folders in AppData folder, and install Roon from scratch. Still have this issue.

Can you grab logs and PM them to me? You can use Dropbox or something similar to upload them.