Roon completely broken after update

Good thought - and it would help with discovery. But i don’t have another PC in the house…

Thanks. Let me have a thought on that. Would that require two Roon licenses?

Meanwhile, grateful to hear from others that have been presented with the pulsing roon logo on reinstall after update.

Im having major issues too - Roon will not connect to Tidal since the update - nothing would play and so I logged out and back in again but Roon is failing to recognise the login and so won’t load … majorly disappointed in this!

Please get it fixed ASAP!

1 Like

No, you can install the Roon core on multiple devices. However, you can only have one active at a time. To activate on one device, you have to deactivate on the other device. Maybe you can find a friend with a Windows 10 laptop to give it a try. Once you get your answer, you could delete Roon from that computer. Of course, you would need to use your Roon name and password.

and so I thought I’d try logging out of Roon and now it won’t log me back into that either …

This is where i deinstalled the program on my PC and reinstalled. That took me back to the working v831.

Hounestly? It’s because they are a bunch of amateurs! It’s every year the same.
My God, I never saw such a crap of softwaredevelopement. Roon has grown over there heads. They are not knowing what they are doing, otherwise these things wouldn’t happen on this level. Or did they think: O, let them build a new database. That’s not a problem. Did they? Did they test?
What the f*ck, it cost me years to be where I am now.
I hope Apple will buy them and make it a valluable peace of software.
Lifetimer here also!
And I knew before I pushed the updatebutton that ■■■■ was gonna happn. Last time I do that! Thank God I mannaged somehow after a day trial and error to get 138 back to work.

3 Likes

@support, if i will eventually contend with a corrupted database that will need to be erased, what can i do to minimize the pain?

Specifically, can you advise on what will be lost and what will remain? I am thinking i should take pictures of my Live Radio Feeds, of my Genre Settings, etc… Can you share a list of all the prep work one can do that will help us get back to where we were prior to the loss of our databases.

I am grateful you stand firm that this will never happen again, but i also have to think this should have NEVER happened in the first place.

5 Likes

Hey everyone,

I wanted to point to our latest staff post on this issue, on this consolidated thread:

All further updates will be posted here :arrow_up:

1 Like

there were nearly 500 beta testers…

1 Like

Not to mention the Alpha testers (but I don’t know the size of that group)…

2 Likes

Now there are 100.000 gamma testers :wink: BTW thankfully I am having no issues with ROCK on a NUC.

I haven’t experienced the corruption issue with 880 (Ubuntu 20.04 Core) so hopefully I’m not just lowering signal-to-noise ratio in this discussion…but…doesn’t this raise the issue, why was your database engine so fragile? Users don’t typically corrupt databases, poor schemas or engine code does. Why was/is it so easy to “corrupt” the database?

This is an interesting observation… if the Roon db is that fragile (and based on the Roon response and the high number of users reporting such problems), then what will happen now that they’ve put db integrity checks in place? If every month, Roon tells me I need to restore from backup because of db corruption, that will surely piss off everyone off.

Truth is, I’ve been using Roon for over 6 years and have had very few headaches with it, a ton of enjoyment, and not a single db corruption problem (that I was aware of) even though I’ve moved it from one PC to another many times via the backup/restore process.

I’m certain none of us really understand what the problem is with this update, but it behooves Roon to figure it out and then be open and honest about it. Their credibility is at stake.

That should give you peace of mind… These database corruption cases are not so frequent as to bother you or any user every other month.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for a determination that it /is/ corruption, and not their new “integrity” code falsely signalling corruption. I wonder that, especially since I can’t even install a new Core with an empty database that /doesn’t/ almost immediately shut down with an “issue loading database.”

So we’re heading into weekend with no real announcement how Roon is approaching the problem of getting customers back online… I wish we’d get some idea.
-Alan

2 Likes

If you scroll up this thread & checkout the posts by WindowsX he has identified three errors/bugs which support are investigating. When resolutions have been found, and before they can implemented & released, assessment will take place to check for any further impact fixes may have.
I guess another “day or two” before any physical updates can be released into the wild.

Well, but there’s this:

2 Likes

Hard drives and SSDs are not foolproof. Failures are uncommon, but do happen at predictable rates which can result in lost or corrupt data. This means that when Roon accesses your database the information can be garbled or unavailable, and this can be caused not only by drive failure but also by bad RAM or a buggy storage controller. Again, these cases are rare, but with a user base like ours, some people are going to experience some form of hardware failure every day.

So it’s all your hardware folks, no software defects here!

1 Like

So far, one beta tester out of 500 has reported the problem. That extrapolates to about 400 users. That works out to about $48k of annual loss if they all quit. In corporate-speak, that is acceptable loss compared to enginerring/design shortcut cost savings.

1 Like

882 has not fixed issue for me, still getting ‘issue loading your database’ even after restoring to a backup from a month ago. There must be a way to scan/fix/repair the database if it is indeed corrupt. I’m skeptical as it was working totally fine before the 880 update and I use Roon almost every day.

I’d rather go back to a previous version that works with the DB I have, than have to create a new one just to use the latest features in the recent update. Please provide a link to download the previous stable version, and a way to disable auto update.

People want to listen to their music, and if Roon doesn’t work, they will find/buy something else. You guys would be better off getting people back up an running even if its using and old version, than continually trying to blame the user community for corrupting DB’s and telling them start from scratch. Who is going to recommend Roon to anyone after that experience.

Roon has been great for the past few years, but the credibility of the company has taken a very significant hit the past 48 hours. Pls do the right thing and help us use the old version until the issue is addressed properly.

1 Like