Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 Pro, Intel Core I7-12700H 2.30 GHz, 16GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: ASUS RT-AX68U
Switch: Netgear GS-105
WiFi: 802.11ax
no VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Several wireless Active speakers (Tidal, Chromecast), Raspberry Pi (RoPieeeXL 2023.05.1)

Number of Tracks in Library

7500Tracks, 1400 albums

Description of Issue

Roon keeps crashing on my laptop (server) and as audio show season is almost up (I use/show/talk Roon when I demo our equipment), I’m getting nervous. I’m privileged by having 2 accounts (home/work) and if I use my laptop (as a client) to connect to my PC (account 2), all is fine. If I try to run the server on my laptop, it plays for a few seconds and then the screen freezes and Roon crashes. I have uploaded Roon log files (Juul Gijsbers.zip) and Windows logs (Roon_Juul Gijsbers.evtx) to your log server.

I have tried: reinstalling Roon, reinstalling .net, reinstalling my graphics driver. No luck.

Roon server is for headless use which is why you use to connect to pc but if you use laptop should you not use Roon ( non server)which has the gui with your other log in?

Correct and I now realize the story is not complete. If I start roonserver on my laptop and use my iPhone for control, the server constantly disconnects (service crashing) reconnects (server restarts) and plays for a few seconds, then disconnects again. If I start the Roon application on my laptop, it consistently crashes within a minute. Odd thing is, if I log out from the account on the laptop and connect to the 2nd account on my PC, all is fine. So I assume the link with the database/library installed on my laptop causes the crash. I’ve already reinstalled the whole thing with no luck. I did find some info about registry entries that need to be deleted manually for a clean reinstall, but would like to get that confirmed by support.

Is this community the only way to get in touch with support? Seriously? Just a simple “we are also clueless, but are looking into it” would be appreciated.

By the way, currently testing your C4 integration (on the PC where your software doesn’t constantly crash). One word. Awesome.

OK… it looked like renaming the Roon folder to “Roon OLD” does not impact the database as it came up instantly after reinstalling Roon. Still thinking this database causes Roon crashing, I used my 2nd account to do a clean reinstall. So I logged out of the working Roon version on my PC and used it to create a complete new Roon install on my laptop… Installation went just fine. I started Roon… and I did not manage to get through the setup as again, within a minute Roon froze and crashed. I’m lost. I have uploaded Roon + Windows logs to dropbox:

Anyone?

Hi @Juul_Gijsbers,

Thank you for your report and we’re sorry for the issues you’ve been facing.

As an immediate troubleshooting step, try performing a RAATServer refresh (I assume you have retained a reliable database from before):

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new RAATServer
  • Restore a Backup to retain your DSP settings

We need to simplify the situation and reduce the number of variables at play by only involving the originally affected account. To clarify - with which account of yours was the RoonServer instance associated when you first encountered the problem?

Please load a Backup of that database instance, as logging is not retained anytime you perform a Roon_old function and log in to your other account. The logs you’ve uploaded therefore don’t contain any of the timestamps associated with your report.

Once you have stabilized conditions for troubleshooting, please reproduce the issue (crash) and we’ll investigate diagnostics with development to pinpoint the issue.

We’ll proceed from there - thank you!

Hi Connor,

Issue 1: I have used my iPhone to connect to roonserver on my laptop. From 21:15 to 21:35 Roonserver crashed 3 times resulting in my iPhone not seeing my core anymore. Below logs from Roon, Roonserver and RAATserver. Account: [email hidden by staff]

Odd thing is, although I have renamed the RAATserver to _old. As soon as I opened the Roon app, my library was still there…

2nd issue: If I open the Roon app on my laptop, the app crashes after a minute or so. Logs below.
Between 21:45 and 21:52 the app crashed 3 times.

Thank you for your time!

Been 2 weeks now. Crickets. If my logs are useless, do let me know.

Not sure if @connor was notified about the recent posts by @Juul_Gijsbers

Hi @Juul_Gijsbers,

Thank you for your patience and our apologies for not sending an update. We’ve identified two issues within logs, either one (or both) of which might be responsible for the behavior you’re experiencing.

However, RoonServer didn’t log any crashes within the sets you’ve shared, suggesting the crash is either fully unmanaged or a different descriptor might help pinpoint the issue better. Does Roon hang on the mobile client at all? Do you have any crash reports from the laptop OS that you can share as well?

To business - the first culprit here is one of the mechanisms for database performance decline that we’re investigating in this thread: ROON painfully slow after update with large library sizes [Roon Investigating]

Specifically, Roon is choking up while it analyzes your library content.

The second culprit is what appears to be a cyclical network timeout on the part of your RoonServer laptop. These timeouts don’t correlate to the timestamps of the crashes or any other bad behavior in RoonServer logs, but they certainly indicate that Roon is struggling in your audio environment.

Specifically, the Raspberry Pi and several other AirPlay-capable endpoints are timing out during the device discovery protocol. Additionally, your Remotes sometimes time out attempting to connect to the Server as system output Zones in RAATServer logs.

Curiously, Roon is also receiving an internal IP address from somewhere in your LAN as the external IP address field from the UPnP stack on your router. The unmanaged switch isn’t likely to interfere but try a different ethernet port or remove the switch entirely, just to be sure. Additionally, verify your router firmware is updated.

One possible mechanism for the library analysis issue mentioned above concerns Roon’s handling of IPv6. There are numerous failures related to IPv6 device announcement in your logs, suggesting the router isn’t properly handling that nomenclature. Unless you’re relying on IPv6, try turning it off entirely in your router web administration. Please let us know if this relieves any of your symptoms. I also recommend re-verifying that Roon and its processes are added as network firewall exceptions for Windows and any other security software. Please also try changing your DNS server to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS.

In the meantime, we’ll pull more recent logs once you’ve made the change and see if there’s evidence of reduced network timeout frequency and, as a more direct test, whether there are still analysis issues.

1 Like

Hello Connor,

As most of your suggestions relate to the setup of my network I was sceptic at first (Roon runs just fine on my PC on that network), but what do I know! I implemented all of the above by not using my router and connect to hotspot on my iPhone instead… that WORKED! Roon did not crash!

The only setting I had to change in my router to get it all working again… disable IPV6
Happy days.

Thanks and all the best!

1 Like

Hi @Juul_Gijsbers,

Glad to hear! We’ll of course follow up internally to post-mortem this issue; IPv6 should not normally interfere with Roon, but we have an active ticket investigating a potential mechanism that it appears affected your system.

Since this thread will auto-close, please reach out in a new topic thread or through our Dealer Support team and we’ll be happy to assist. Thank you again!