Roon constantly skipping tracks

Running RoonServer on Ubuntu, my music library is on a Synology NAS mounted via NFS. Roon will often skip 1-10 tracks at a time (Track Stopped Due to Error - in the logs). If I skip back the the tracks will load a play immediately. NAS and Server are wired. Zero NFS errors. Synology is always responsive (I’ve run a script to continuously query the mount while playing- nothing changed).
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Robert,

I would suggest as a quick test

Put a subset of music local to the RoonServer and see if the error occurs for local tracks. That would narrow things down.

Also “Error in the logs”, what was the actual message?

Additionally, I’m moving this thread to the actual support section to Roon’s official support staff will see it.

Thanks for the response and apologies for the bad paste.
I’ve done extensive testing and can confirm it’s nothing to do with NFS vs. local storage. I experience no skipping when I stream Roon on my PC or my phone. I experience no skipping if I use Airplay to my AV receiver. I do experience skipping when I stream to Chromecast (Chromecast with Google TV).

These are the errors:

11/03 16:57:44 Error: [cast/client] [CastRoonApplicationChannel] Media error: { "sourceId": "ce6ccc0f-6859-4bf2-9988-dfc62765d064", "destinationId": "sender-67576", "namespace": "urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.media", "payloadUtf8": "{\"requestId\":91028,\"type\":\"INVALID_REQUEST\",\"reason\":\"INVALID_MEDIA_SESSION_ID\"}" }
11/03 16:57:44 Error: [cast/client] [CastRoonApplicationChannel] Media error: { "sourceId": "ce6ccc0f-6859-4bf2-9988-dfc62765d064", "destinationId": "sender-67576", "namespace": "urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.media", "payloadUtf8": "{\"requestId\":91029,\"type\":\"INVALID_REQUEST\",\"reason\":\"INVALID_MEDIA_SESSION_ID\"}" }
11/03 16:57:44 Warn: [zone Main TV] Track Stopped Due to Error

Thanks,
Rob

Hey @Robert_Hill,

You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, those error logs can be normal and unfortunately don’t point us in much of a specific direction. That said, please reproduce this issue and take note of the date, time, and name of the track. Share that info here, and we’ll enable diagnostics on your account to take a closer look.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

10:38am CST 11/12/2022 Track: The Dam at Otter Creek

I’ll add more as they happen. Thank you for the follow-up!

Hey @Robert_Hill,

Thank you for the above information! I’d like to learn a bit more about your Chromecast setup. How are you streaming from your core your Chromecast device? If possible, are you able to test hardwiring the two?

With that, can you please check your firmware version on the Chromecast device to ensure it is up to date? You can learn more about that here : Chromecast firmware versions and release notes - Chromecast Help

Roon Server running on Ubuntu- it’s hardwired. I’ve added my Chromecast devices via the Audio portion of the settings in the Roon app (on my phone or PC) and stream the same way. I don’t have the adaptor to hardwire the chromecast, but streaming video is rock solid.

I’ve tested on both the second gen Chromecast and the current Chromecast HD.
Second Gen Chromecast : System Firmware: 291998 Cast Firmware: 1.56.291998
Chromecast HD: Cast Firmware 1.61.304433

The problem exists on both device types.
I had issues today 11/18/2022 at 2:58pm CST (115 songs skipped)
and 3:26pm CST (92 songs skipped).

I’m happy to do any further testing you might require. Just let me know.
Thanks,
Rob

Hey @Robert_Hill,

Thanks for letting me know. As a next step, lets set your database aside and see how things function with a fresh database. Steps to follow below:

  • Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

Let me know if the issue persists after the above :pray: