Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

edit ‘start_my_roon_instance.sh

and make sure the command line ends with:

-scalefactor=2

The global var is set to 1, and the first “then” has the -scaslefactor=2

Did you want me to change something?

I ran manually with -scalefactor=1 and it’s better, but it seems WINE doesn’t play well at all with window managers/tiling :face_with_monocle:

SO I have a brand new installation of Ubunto 20.04 here because my m.2 drive failed on me… I installed wine, winetricks, and all the mono and gecko stuff required. I installed Roon. Everything appeared fine until I tried to start it. It hangs here. WHat am I missing?

edit: Wine Stable is now 6.0, which is what was installed when I installed wine-stable

Okay, but how?

downloaded it, ran the wine installer? Is there another way?

Is that this one: https://github.com/RoPieee/roon-on-wine?

no…

It is wine from apt install wine-stable

and its roon from roonlabs.com

So I guess you don’t have .Net installed? What is the version of Mono you downloaded?
Maybe it’s better to delete the Wine bottle you created and give the installer script from @spockfish a go. The script was created to make the installation easier for users.

dbpoweramp installed and runs just fine, for another data point.

Which version works best, you nailed the step I forgot.

winecfg automatically downloaded mono and gecko, I forgot about dotnet.

If you really want to do it yourself, here is the relevant part of the installer script I already mentioned:

# installing .NET needs to be done in a few steps; if we do this at once it fails on a few systems

_winetricks "Installing .NET 4.0"    -q --force dotnet40

# setting some environment stuff
_winetricks "Setting Windows version to 7" -q win7
_winetricks "Setting DDR to OpenGL"        -q ddr=opengl

rm -f ./NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe
wget 'https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/E/4/6E48E8AB-DC00-419E-9704-06DD46E5F81D/NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe'
_wine "Installing .NET..." ./NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /q

As the code is from a script you may have to substitue some parts with the actual command names and omit some shell text (text in " ").

I grabbed dotnet 4.5.2 after reading up the thread some, and Roon is working fine now. I had to reset windows version to 7 afterwards.

1 Like

winetricks can install .Net but you have to tell it to.
Install the 32-bit Roon exe. To do so, you need to create a 32-bit wine-prefix. Create one that’s dedicated to the Roon install. (dbPoweramp installs and runs fine with defaults, but Roon won’t)

The script that BlackJack mentioned will do for you what’s necessary

Can we reasonably assume that this will still work with 1.8?

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s absolutely reasonable to assume that it still works.

I was just wondering if people were thinking about this already, glad to see I am not the only one. I hope someone can figure out the procedures needed, if any change, to upgrade to 1.8 in Wine.

When there was an update of the 1.7 version, Roon simply popped up a notification and I clicked update like i would have on Windows. Worked OK, but after that my Ubuntu always showed two icons on the Dock for Roon, the launcher and another one for the running Roon window. Couldn’t figure that one out so I reinstalled the new Roon version from scratch. But the update did work as such.

Installing of 1.8 most likely will be just the same as installing of 1.7. If not, we will see :slight_smile:

Roon 1.8 works for me.
Manjaro Linux - Wine 6.0

The setup menu does not show any entries:

There are some graphical peculiarities in lists:

Otherwise everything works fine. But as far as I know these are general Windows problems and Roon is already working on a solution.

Everything fine for me with Roon 1.8

Mint 19.3 - Wine 4.0 (It ain’t bust so I didn’t fix it…) :slight_smile:

dotnet 4.52 if I remember correctly…