Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

This was only a guess. :wink:

No worries, I just saying - doesnā€™t seem to be a fundamental Gnome problem at least. Stupid computers, I hate them :wink:

1 Like

But we decided to use a computerized music program.

Sometimes I think less is more, but I chose Roon :wink:.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll all be delighted to know that Iā€™m back to a fully functional Roon install on Wine. I simply had to install the .NET Framework 4.8 package for my Roon Wine prefix. This works for both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Roon. Duh.

Iā€™m going to quit Wine-ing and get back to listening.

Cheers! :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Hi all ā€“

Exclusive Linux house here and weā€™re really struggling with the Roon Desktop GUI since 1.8. The only way we are able to access our music is via the Android app on my cellphone. Not ideal :frowning:

We install using https://github.com/RoPieee/roon-on-wine and it worked just fine until 1.8.

Everything ā€œseemsā€ to install as reasonable as a wine install goes. We get to the ā€œChoose your Roon Coreā€ and the GUI seems to hang on " Initializing" with the Core.

What configurations of wine/.NET are folks using that seem to work? Recommendations?

Thanks ahead,
~F

Which is exactly what I get too with my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS machine - but read above:

This, in my opinion, translates to: The issue at hand is not Wine or .Net related. Itā€™s something host OS related instead (kernel, libraries, ā€¦). As long as no one is able to debug the issue and shares its findings here, we donā€™t know what exactly the reason is and if it might be possible to make those (older) systems work again.

Diagnosis: The Roon GUI runs error free but something else, possibly network (encryption?) related, is blocking/hangs. Note: The Roon software doesnā€™t catch errors and terminates with an error message like other software (convenience, donā€™t bother users, what ever the reason may be for that) in many (most?) cases when things go wrong. In the best of such cases there is a meaningful entry in the log file. Sadly it seems, this is not such a best case scenario.

I have no experience of the roon-on-wine scripts but I experienced the a similar hang on an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS machine after a manual install. In my situation the GUI would hang when I clicked the ā€˜agree to termsā€™ button post-install.

I was able to launch and run Roon normally by purging wine, installing wine-staging and using the .NET 4.8 package in a 64-bit prefix.

On Arch Linux I had a different problem where I could launch and run Roon but could not exit from my DE without the .NET 4.8 package installed in my Roon prefix. Iā€™m using wine-staging here too.

I feel that @BlackJack is right about the Host OS having a bigger role to play than either your Wine or .NET versions. The combination above is the one that worked for my system and may not work with yours.

I have two identical Manjaro operating systems with the same Wine configuration and other program installations. Both have a Roon server and the same Wine Windows GUI, one starts, the other does not.

Acer 8943G does not start the GUI, XMG has no problems with it.

The only difference I can mark so far is that the Acer keeps my very large library and XMG only a small part of it. Overall, working with partial stocks is also smoother under Linux.

Hi all ā€“

Thanks for all of the replies. Iā€™m currently running Linux Mint 19.2, which is ~Ubuntu 18. Iā€™ve got a ā€œburnerā€ laptop I will upgrade to latest and try upgrading Mint to latest (Ubuntu 20.04). After that, Iā€™ll upgrade to winehq-staging and .NET 4.8 in the 64 prefix. Fingers-crossed this works, and then Iā€™ll push an updated roon-on-wine script. Iā€™ll keep you posted on status as I give this a try in probably a couple days.

Planned config:

• Linux Mint 20.2 (Ubuntu 20.04)
  • winehq-staging
  • Run wine in 64-mode

Fiddle with the roon-on-wine script, but first test:

• winetricks install .NET 4.0
  • Manually install .NET 4.8

Thanks for the replies! Good to know Iā€™m not the only one looking at this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers,
~F

Hello Linux friends,

I bought a new computer (details here) and tried to install Roon using roon-on-wine.

I am using Manjaro Linux (of course everything is up to date), where Roon also runs on another machine without problems.

Here I get the following error message and Roon does not start:
Screenshot_20211001_115615

I thank you in advance for any hints.

I am relatively sure that this is not an unsolvable problem and that I might get this solved myself, but at the moment I am stagnating a bit.

In the settings of the software management, you can activate AUR, and then you will also receive the Ronn server as a ready-made package.

With the PlayOnLinux software, it is easier to get many Windows programs (32 and 64bit) to run. This worked with iTunes, MP3Tag, irfanview, Foobar2000ā€¦and also the Windows Core 64 from Roon. Every build was accepted by me so far and the installation is possible even for beginners without terminal and Linux knowledge.

Hello @Uwe_Albrecht and thank you for your answer.

I think you have misunderstood me a little. I am not talking about the Roon Server (Core), which is running successfully for me.
I am talking about the graphical user interface under Linux.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

BTW: I just posted something in the your Music Germany Corner thread.

only for the GUI

I see I even have the official version and not AUR

z

ā€¦and I have a server and the Windows GUI running on each device so I can switch servers. A really great and many small solutions.

Thanks again @Uwe_Albrecht for your answer.

It is neither about the Roon server nor about the bridge. It is about the graphical user interface under Linux, which has worked successfully for me so far. The music is running for me, my Roon Server is running (otherwise I would be aggressive :grinning:).

Hi guys,

Iā€™ve updated my script (https://github.com/RoPieee/roon-on-wine).
Nothing fancy, just checkinā€™ if everything is still working on Fedora (34).

What Iā€™ve added is the creation of the necessary XDG stuffā€¦ which means Roon shows up in the launcher and has a proper icon (at least on Gnome). This also means you can add it to your favourites etc.

On my box it requires a logout/login cycle to have the icon show up; this is something that I need to figure out.

1 Like

At least gnome-shell seems to read the .desktop files only on startup. killall -3 gnome-shell does it for me by restarting it without having to log out

I should mention that I work with KDE.

The only advice I can give is that on my Arch install (Manjaro is based on Arch) I use wine-staging and winetricks (for dotnet48) which gives me a perfect Roon GUI experience.

Obviously, donā€™t purge your existing wine install if you are using it for something important.

Method:

• create a wine prefix (or use default) and configure to WIndows 10
  • open this prefix in winetricks and install the dotnet48 package
  • grab the correct Roon installer from the Roon downloads page and install it to your prefix

Without the winetricks dotnet48 package I saw a lot of strange behaviour with Roon.

Works ootb on Pop! OS, requires logout as well.
Also for some reason the installation defaulted to scalefactor=2 which caused the UI to be huge and Roon to display the ā€˜run in fullscreenā€™ prompt
[EDIT]: It seems this was caused by the fact that variables in start start_my_roon_instance.sh were resolved during script creation

btw is roon-in-flatpak still alive?

It is, but the flatpak development cycle is rather frustrating :wink:
Right now Iā€™m a little bit stuck: Iā€™ve got Wine available in the flatpak, Notepad.exe runs, but for some reason the Roon installer has a problem with it.

And I need to find time to give it another goā€¦

1 Like