Roon control GUI working on Linux using Wine

Dunno about 18.04 but 806 works flawlessly on 20.04. Simply started the update from within Roon as I always do, updated the file path in the launcher as usual, and that was it

Build 806 is broken on Linux Mint 19.3 for me. Iā€™ll look at the logs later. I wish Iā€™d thought to copy the Wine bottle too. :frowning:

Iā€™m on my Win10 laptop until I can sort it.

Iā€™m really sorry for you, but it works fine with Manjaro Linux.

I guess some crypto libraries in 18.04 are deprecated and so on. Would welcome any hint on this.

Yeah on Fedora works it as well, but Iā€™ve also got an updated Wine.

This is the reason why I think that a better solution would be to have a Flatpak. That would solve this pain.

But lately I did not had enough time to look further into a Flatpak solution.

Possibly not related to the Wine version as I tried with stable and staging and got the same result in both cases.

I guess easiest a quickest way would be clean install of RoonInstaller.exe 1.7. But where do we get it?

From the temp folder in your user directory inside the wine bottle Roon is installed in possibly?
At least in my bottle all the installers from previous versions are there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @BlackJack. I went back to build 795 and Roon is working again.
Will have to live with the update notification till this gets fixed for 806 or later.

Thank you @BlackJack. Iā€™ve found older versions and installed some 7xx build. However it was no success on first attemp. Immediately after start I had to disable any autoupgrade of desktop client. Without that it got stuck on something.

1 Like

Today I upgraded my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS. Then upgraded Roon remote under Wine to latest build 1.8 (814). With 20.04 everything works fine. Nice. HTH.

After short period of joy it doesnā€™t work again. Some ā€œminorā€ upgrade of Ubuntu 20.04 system and Roon remote wonā€™t start.

This made Roon remote run again:

export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.6

Need to enter it before running Roon from command line.

Its a bug related to Wine 6.x and MESA 21.x drivers. More info here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/mfw36e/x_error_of_failed_request_glxbadfbconfig_after/

Is this the official Wine thread? :wine_glass:

Iā€™ve had great success with Roon on Wine on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS but have run into a minor snag with a fresh install of Ubuntu 21.04 using using all three branches of Wine.

Simply put, Roon.exe does not terminate when I quit the program from my desktop environment. It works as perfectly as on my previous install while running but cannot be exited cleanly with any version of Wine. I can stop and restart by various means but I just canā€™t get Roon.exe to ā€˜quitā€™ properly.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I can only say that I am running it on 21.04 and donā€™t have this problem, using 32-bit Roon in a separate wine prefix and wine-stable

1 Like

This is a useful tip. Iā€™m running 32-bit Roon in its own 32-bit prefix on my Arch Linux machine with great success.

I still canā€™t seem to close the app with from its GNOME window but running Roon.exe from the terminal at least shows why the app isnā€™t terminating when its window its closed.

It just cycles this infinitely until the process is ended with ctrl + c:

00f8:fixme:file:CancelSynchronousIo (0000089C): stub
00f8:fixme:file:CancelSynchronousIo (000004CC): stub

Iā€™m happier with Roon on Arch than on Ubuntu even with this minor issue. :wine_glass:

Manjaro has the server 1.8 and the bridge 1.7 in the software selection.

Here with server 1.8 (814) and GUI via PlayOnLinux

Download current Roon (Windows Core 64) and totally easy installation via PlayOnLinux. You intuitively do everything right.

Do not start Roon immediately, but first make a start icon.

Then in the terminal two commands plus password
systemctl start roonserver
systemctl enable roonserver

2 Likes

I tried the PlayOnLinux suggestion on my Arch machine. I was able to install and run 64-bit Roon remote but still was not able to close it from GNOME.

I was expecting this as I havenā€™t been able to close any Wine-run Roon.exe (PlayOnLinux is Wine-based) without killing the process from the terminal or System Monitor. Closing Roonā€™s window with the ā€˜stopā€™ button on PlayOnLinux generated a crash message so thereā€™s definitely an issue with Roon remote on Wine and my specific Linux system.

As I said, a minor, minor problem which doesnā€™t affect my enjoyment of Roon GUI on any flavour of Linux. It used to work properly and it may do again some day.

Cheers! :wine_glass:

I use Manjaro Linux, which is very similar to Arch.
I suspect that this is a Gome-specific problem. I use KDE and have never experienced this problem.

The only thing I get is an error message from RAAT, which I ignore because I donā€™t use my Linux remote computers as output.

I had also tried to get Roon to run with PlayOnLinux, but had little luck.

I still think @spockfishā€™s script is the most comfortable for most Linux distributions.

P.S.: My sentences almost all start with ā€œIā€, maybe Iā€™m a little egocentric ;-).

Process monitor after Manjaro startup

Process monitor after starting 1) PlayOnLinux +2) Roon GUI

Process monitor after closing 1) Roon GUI + 2) PlayOnLinux

However I use Ubuntu 21.04 with Gnome and donā€™t have the problem. Odd