Roon control tablet (Roon hardware)

The Roon software works well on tablets - mainly! I just installed Roon on an Amazon Fire tablet and it works well (battery life seems short), and the tablet is “flimsy” compared to an iPad, but for $70…

My main beef is that Roon (it seems arbitrariliy) decides if the device should display in landscape or portrait. I’d like the option, but certainly landscape: hese devices can scroll you know!

On the Fire, Roon occasionally decides - momentarily - that it can display in landscape, rotates the display, states that the resolution is insufficent and locks up! The app seems to treat it as a phone and not as a tablet.

AS stated elsewhere, an (e.g.) iPad can be configured as pretty much a dedicated Roon controller and it works very well. However the bit of the equation that is not yet solved is a stabd to hold it on a table for example and to manage power so that it is is always available.

There is a thread in Tinkering (iPad controller mount) on this topic and there are some good thoughts on the topic there.

I’m inclined (when the move is complete and Roon is installed and the new two channel is complete) to have a crack at designing and machining a few alternatives.

Thoughts and input welcome.

BTW, the closest I have seen to an ideal solution is the Nativ Vita, but the price…

1 Like