Roon control tablet (Roon hardware)

I just recently got the Fire 8 tablet with the dock and love it (in red). Works great to switch between Show mode and Tablet mode just using my voice with Alexa (I switched the wake word to Amazon so that it is its own distinct device with my voice and not impacting any of my other echos). When in Show mode you can drop in as it has its own camera like the Show and Spot, and obviously make video calls. The camera upgrade is nice in this latest version of the Fire 8. Another nice thing is when I’m in the Roon app and then switch to Show mode, the next time I exit Show mode it goes back into tablet mode and automatically goes back into the Roon app without me having to interfere - double cool. I am really impressed with this setup and how well the dock works with it (I got the whole setup so cheap). It’s very fast and responsive compared to the 1st gen Fire tablet where I had to completely disable Alexa.

1 Like

I too am trying to decide on a dedicated control device in the living room for my NUC/Rock setup. My Galaxy Note 9 works fine but the screen it too small. My wife’s IPAD PRO also works fine most of the time, when she is not using it, but it gets sluggish after a few hours and the album art disappears after continued use. Power cycling the IPAD corrects the issue. I’m considering the new Samsung Tab S6 that just came out. This is probably a dumb question but I have to ask. Seems the devices have to be charged with USB in some way so If the tablet was connected to the NUC USB to stay charged would it communicate with the NUC over the USB connection instead of wireless? I plan to have the device in one location either way. I’m just curious.

I use an android tablet. It works perfectly. The only problem is that you can’t lock out Settings. Twice over the past year I’ve had guests muck about with the settings.Why do people do this? I have no explanation, but it is annoying.

No Comms over usb. Not sure if a NUC usb would be enough power for a tablet.
Sounds like you have a major problem with your set up if the iPad pro has that behaviour.

It is only the IPAD that has the issues and I’m guessing it memory related. I have no idea what all my wife has running on. The other remote devices work fine. Need one dedicated as the main control unit. I have plenty of options for USB power, was just curious if the communication was there. Thanks.

I pad pro works like a charm for me. Very occasionally I shut the Roon App should I have any issues.

I use this stand also - in the study attached to a charger.

I also have one of these Yohann stands, solid wood https://www.yohann.com/product/ipad-stand/?v=d2cb7bbc0d23

I use a (mostly) dedicated iPad Pro with notifications turned off.

It sits next to my listening position on this charging stand: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/base-ipad-pro-stand

I was planning to get my wife a new 11 inch IPAD PRO and use her old 9. inch one for dedicated control. That way she would get something new and exciting after I got the NUC/Rock setup. I’m hesitant to do that now after having to cycle her old one a few times when it became sluggish or stopped showing the album art. I don’t have anything against IPAD, not familiar with the os/interface and I’m comfortable with android. I heard/read that the latest Tab S6 is about even with the IPAD PRO in performance. The main thing is to have one or the other dedicated for Roon control. My note 9 works fine but I like the gui on the IPAD better. Don’t know if the difference is due to screen size or the operating systems.

Well its been over a year and still no 1st party control hardware. Seen more people playing with surface dial than ever before though.

Never say never but the likelihood of Roon marketing their own “Roon Tablet Device” is close to zero.

How are you finding the 6th gen iPad?

I use an iPad Air, it’s fine for Roon but thinking of upgrading it next year to a larger screened version.

I splashed out an iPad Pro 12.9 WOW is the only comment , it’s a step up from my old mini

2 Likes

That’s where I’m heading … :slight_smile:

Have a 70th birthday, works wonders with the management committees :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I use a 12.9inch iPad Pro and it’s fantastic. Since making this post the need for a good tablet has dropped, now I want a 1st party remote control haha.

1 Like

Probably old ground … but why?

I’m struggling to see what advantages there are, bespoke hardware costs ££££/$$$$ and rebadged devices always have significant markup.

Functionally Roon is Roon … so we are back to removing any unwanted applications … which was discussed earlier in this topic.

It would be nice to have the functionality of a remote control without the screen. Remember this is my want, may not align with yours.

That’s quite a different device to what you created this topic to discuss.

It was Roon touch screen tablet device I was commenting on.

I can see having a simple, light weight push button remote might be useful for some. Pause, play, next, previous, volume up/down … just to control an existing queue (previously setup by an other device).

That said, I do question what the demand would be.

Not 1st party, but try a search in the tinkering section of the forum… there may be some pointers in then.

I am getting lost, why a Remote I assume you mean a la TV remote

I have a CXN which has a remote, yes you can navigate on the onboard screen but it’s painful, especially with a big library

I only ever use it to switch on and off and occasionally for volume control

I find my Atom remote really good with roon for the next track, volume etc. Especially as there seems to be some correlation between me increasing the volume and the likelihood of the phone ringing, so mute is handy too.