Roon controller and AiMesh network

I have Rock installed on NUC, it works fine.
This week, I installed an AiMesh node the network itself works fine.
But at this moment, the NUC is connected via Ethernet, in my music room, very often my Android cell phone with Roon controller might switch to the new AiMesh node by itself. I noticed if my phone connects to the router, then I am able to find the Roon core. However when my phone connects to the AiMesh node, then I am not able to connect to the Roon core.

Maybe worth to mention, no matter if my phone connects to the router or the AiMesh node, the Youtube app on my phone is able to find my Samsung TV, and Google Nest to cast Youtube video.
so I wonder why Roon controller cannot find the Roon core.
I did a bit of search and I couldn’t find a solution. Any help is appreciated.

Paul

Is there any suggestion?

Hi @Paul_L,

Are there any settings related to IGMP Snooping in the router’s settings? If so, can you try making sure that’s enabled and let us know if there is any change? Thanks!

I turned IGMP snooping on and tried it in the past several days. It seems not working. Usually I have to turn wifi off and turn it on again and hope it will connect to the router, and find Roon core.

are there other options to play around?
Thanks.

Hi @Paul_L,

Is the AiMesh a different router than your primary router?
Are they using the same subnet range (same IP except for the last 3 digits)?

@noris yes, the AIMesh node was different router than my primary router.
but yesterday I refunded that AiMesh node and bought the Asus Ax6100 (RT-AX92U) bundle (came with two identical tri-bands wif6 routers), I just set them up again and will test it more today.

in my home I have 3 routers now. two Ax6100 (the primary router, and the node that close to the music room), and another GT-AC5300 router in living room.

any yes they use the same subnet because their IPs are 192.168.50.X

1 Like

Hi @Paul_L,

I would make sure you only set up one router and configure the rest of your networking gear as access points (so that they get their IP addresses from the primary router).

@noris I keep trying and here is the strange behaviour for the roon controller on Android.

1. Whenever the roon controller on Android lost connection to the core, then I use my PC desktop to open Roon client on PC, the PC client (connected via ethernet) is still able to see the Roon core.
  2. However when roon controller on Android lost connection, I am still able to use browser to visit “http://rock
  3. If I restart roon server software via “http://rock”, then immediately my android controller is able to connect to Roon core, in this case, the wifi of my Android phone doesn’t change at all, but just restart roon server software.

So couple questions:
a) why Andoird client cannot connect but PC client can?
b) why restart roon server software via web UI can solve the issue for Android client temporary. (after Android phone goes to sleep mode without using it, it might lose connection to Roon core again and have same problem, so then I need to restart roon server software again).

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with AiMesh System + Roon

Hi @Paul_L,

That is a bit strange that the ROCK reboot allows a reconnection here.

Can you please reproduce the issue and let me know the exact local time + date of the sequence you described?

I’d like to see what the Roon logs indicate when you reboot your ROCK server.

@noris Thanks for the reply. I did above restart steps at around 3:24pm and 3:49pm of Dec 23, in the log, you might see many more other Roon core restart events during the day, that basically because the situation repeats again and again.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Paul_L,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp! I can confirm that a set of logs has reached out servers, and it does look like the Android device tries to re-connect quite a few times in a short period of time:

12/23 18:49:51 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer ONEPLUS A6000 @ 192.168.50.184:37425] lost client connection. Retrying
12/23 18:49:51 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer ONEPLUS A6000 @ 192.168.50.184:37425] connecting (attempt 1)
12/23 18:49:51 Trace: [raatserver] [RaatServer ONEPLUS A6000 @ 192.168.50.184:37425] connected

Is there any change in behavior if you try to temporarily set up a fresh Roon database?

• Create a Backup of your database
  • Stop RoonServer from running in ROCK’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • Verify if the fresh database has the same behavior for a day or two
  • Restore from backup

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.