Roon controller dropping connection frequently

I am running Roon Optimized Core Kit on a NUC8i7BEH with a 256GB M.2 SSD for the OS, a 1TB SSD for music files and 8GB RAM. I have it connected to an Asus RT-AC3100 via CAT 5e. In another room I have a PS Audio Directstream DAC connected to an Asus RT-AC86U via CAT 5e. The Asus routers form a mesh network. I never lose connection between the ROCK and the DAC but I frequently lose connection between my roon controllers and my ROCK. I have two devices that I typically use as roon controllers, one is a MacBook Air and the other is a Pixel 3. All of the devices are running the most current software. If I lose connection the devices simply tell me lost connection. On my Mac if I restart roon the connection is typically restored. On my Pixel I have to close and restart the app 2-3 times before a connection is restored. This whole time music can be playing without loss of connection. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have a fix to this issue? I would like to get my wife to start using roon but this connection issue will be a deal breaker for her. I have searched the forums for a similar topic but did not find any discussions (this could just be me not looking hard enough). Also I know that the NUC8i7BEH is not an officially supported device but several prior NUC devices are. Could this be a problem with the NUC8?

Most likely WiFi. Roon is a bit picky. As both devices loose connectivity it isn’t a device problem.
There are threads about Asus routers and multicast settings.
“Multicast Routing needs to be enabled on the ASUS RT AC5300 Router (default is disabled)”
The client connectivity requires multicast I believe so check that?

Hello @scottyk,

As Ged mentions this is likely a networking issue. I would take a look at Multicast setting and if your router has IGMP Snooping or IGMP Proxying it would be good to try those option as well. Our Networking Best Practices Guide may provide some additional suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Noris

I went ahead and enabled IGMP Snooping and IGMP Proxying on my router. I’ll give those changes a day or so and report back. Hopefully this solves my problem. Thanks.

1 Like

The connection seems between the controllers and the rock seems to have improved. It tends to hang up and look for connection now the first time I use it for the day or if the computer has been in standby and then gets reopened I will have to restart the app to connect. So not perfect but better.

Hello @scottyk,

Glad to hear that IGMP Snooping and Proxying has helped with stability! I am not sure what else can be done here, you could try connecting an Ethernet cable to the Macbook if possible as that may help or take another look at multicast settings on both Asus routers to make sure it’s set up properly.

As you mentioned though, that NUC8 model is not one we officially support and we have not done extensive testing on it but my guess would be that multicast is going wrong somewhere until the app is restarted.

– Noris

changes to the networking along with upgrading to roon 1.6 fixed 99% of the connection issues.

Glad to hear that @scottyk!

If you are experiencing any more connection issues just let me know and we can take another look.

Thanks,
Noris