Roon Core and PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Ubuntu Server, Roon 1.6(build 416) running on Brix

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired, Ethernet, Not Applicable

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC connected to Brix (Ubuntu server) through USB

Description Of Issue
Roon Core recognizes the dac. Any attempt to play any type of audio(Flac,dsd, any sample rate) fails. Same issue seen when using the same DAC on same Brix hardware with Roon ROCK

RAATServer Log:
{"request":"setup","format":{"sample_type":"pcm","sample_rate":44100,"bits_per_sample":32,"channels":2,"sample_subtype":"none"}}
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] alsa output setup: format is pcm 44100/32/2
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] opening [hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0] 44100/32/2
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] prefer larger samples = 0
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [ALSA] [hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0] using hw pcmformat S32_LE bitspersample 32
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [ALSA] [hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0] Requesting 2 periods
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [ALSA] [hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0] Requesting 22050 frames/buffer (11025 frames/period)
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [ALSA] [hw:CARD=P20,DEV=0] Initialized with 2 periods with 11025 frames/period and 22050 frames/buffer
09/15 18:40:04 Error: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] error in snd_pcm_hw_params: Input/output error (-5)
09/15 18:40:04 Warn: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [lua@0x7fafb00010b8] [127.0.0.1:58976]  setup failed: RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_FORMAT_NOT_SUPPORTED
09/15 18:40:04 Trace: [RAAT::PS Audio USB Audio 2.0] [lua@0x7fafb00010b8] [127.0.0.1:58976]  SENT [8] {"status":"UnexpectedError","message":"RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_FORMAT_NOT_SUPPORTED"}

Hi @Raj_Lokanath,

Are all other endpoints playing okay?

If you connect this device to a Windows or Mac remote and try to play to it that way is there any change in behavior?

Do you see an error message in Roon when this occurs and, if so, what is the message?

@dylan Thanks for looking at this issue.

Are all other endpoints playing okay?
Yes. I connected a iFi iDSD BL through USB and it was good. It also works well with NuPrime IDA-8 through USB.

If you connect this device to a Windows or Mac remote and try to play to it that way is there any change in behavior?
I connected GainCell DAC directly to Mac and was able to play using Roon on the Mac

Do you see an error message in Roon when this occurs and, if so, what is the message?
There was no error message in the Roon App on Mac. Roon loads the media and then immediately stops. If I try playing the first song in an Album, it goes through each song in the Album and does the same thing. I did see error messages in the RoonServer/RAATServer logs.

Hello @Raj_Lokanath,

I have found the manual for the PS Audio Stellar and looking over the USB section in Page #4, it lists the following:

USB requires a driver to operate properly. Mac computers running OSX have the driver built in. Windows based computers require the PS Audio driver to be installed.
Download the driver from our website; it is the same driver used in all of our USB products. Stellar
Gain Cell DAC will show up under Device Manager under a heading PS Audio USB 2.0 Audio Devices. You can obtain a copy of the Driver here: http://www.psaudio.com/support/downloads/

It would appear that a driver is needed for proper communication with this DAC. I would reach out to PS Audio to clarify if this DAC supports Linux because from the documentation this seem to not be the case.

1 Like

@noris Thanks for the info. I will talk to PS Audio about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.