Roon core and roon server on the same PC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Ethernet

Description Of Issue

Can I run Roon Core and Roon Server on the same PC?
Do I have copy my library for that?
If this is not possible, can you explain why not?

I think it is strange i can’t find any (detailed) information about this subject.

RoonServer contains Core. RoonServer has Core and Output, but no GUI (i.e. Remote).

If you mean, can Roon (i.e. Core, Output, Remote) and RoonServer be run on the same machine, then the answer is yes. Although, I’ve never completely understood why someone would need to do this.

@Rugby? @wizardofoz? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure this is possible and there’s no need. RoonServer is a subset of Roon, with no control app. If you tried to run both on the same machine that’s 2 cores. They’d no doubt clash on internet ports and resources like the database. You’d also need a second license as it’s per running core. You only need one or the other depending on your desire to run a screen and control app on your core.

This is not correct - it is perfectly possible to run both the full Roon package and Roon Server on the same machine (PC or MAC). You’re then just not using the Roon Core component of the full Roon package.

In fact, in the KB article on getting the best sound quality out of an all-in-one installation, this scenario is covered (see the end of the article)

1 Like

Ah, my misunderstanding. I need to dust off the old Mac and have a play. I’m curious as to why you’d do it unless the full Roon package isn’t quite what I think it is. I see it as RoonServer plus control. Apologies for adding to any confusion.

Have a read of that KB article. It gives the scenario where some audiophiles would want to do this… They are convinced it gives the best sound quality for their system. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is, but there’s no need to use the full package to create a separate core. I’ve been running this configuration for a couple of years now on a 2012 Macbook Pro. I’m not sure there are any huge audio/SQ benefits, but it’s definitely doable.

I’d just been reading more carefully and can see the use case now. The full Roon app is something of a closed book for me. I’m Linux only so have naturally gone down the server and remote app route. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

I installed Roonserver on my PC.
And I have Room Remote on a android tablet.
What should I do to make it work?

I got it working now. I had to log in again on my tablet when I use Roonserver.
The advantage is that “RoonAppliance” uses only 570 MB memory on PC. Roon Core uses about 3700 MB.
Thanks anyway…

1 Like

Thanks. I thought Roon Server would start up faster. But that depends on the size of the library.
I got I big library (19.000 albums) and it takes several minutes to start up Roon (and Roon Server with the same size library). The only advantage is that I can use Roon Server when I use Tidal only!!
That makes start up quicker and CPU/ memory usage much lower.

I’ve got 8 GB RAM and Intel I5 processor.
Will 8 GB of extra RAM make starting up Roon faster?

More RAM wouldn’t hurt especially if you are nearing 300k tracks. Not sure how much it would speed up .

My suggestion is to not shut the server off, I run mine 24/7, so there is no startup period.

2 Likes

Don’t understand what you mean by this, but I agree with @Rugby in that I (and many others) never shut down Roon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.