Roon Core: Audiophile Options

Had a Nucleus for 2 years and loved every minute of it, but changed recently to an Innuos ZEN MK3 and couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

1 and 4 have same purpose, though 1 is much better value for SQ.

I bought a fanless NUC system assembled by british company QuietPC 2 years ago

running ROCK as OS.

real happy with the system.

2 Likes

You could use a Mac, as well. Really, the list is endless.

So, the million dollar question… Does the quality of the Core affect sound quality (as distributed to the Roon network of connected devices)? Or is it really just if used as a player/end point? Obviously reading the blurb from Innuos etc, it gives the very real view that the quality of the Core does matter and makes a difference. The sense emerging from some of the answers above seems to point the other way? Back to the OP, if budget were no issue, is the best quality Core you can afford worth focus (or will it make no discernable difference compared to a base level ‘good enough’ option)?

This one. As long as it has enough oomph to do the file lifting and DSP processing you want to do in the Core, any computer with an x86 CPU will do fine. A current i5 or i7 processor (or its AMD equivalent) should future-proof you for quite a while.

There’s a lot of tomfoolery talked about “audiophile servers”, but really, it’s just a computer, and all it has to do is compute adequately.

Short answer: No

Longer answer: Assuming the system is just a Core and not also an Endpoint (which is how you SHOULD do it), the system either has the resources (primarily CPU for DSP) to do what it needs to do or it doesn’t. To the extent you exceed the resources required (which is easy to do with even a NUC, hence why Nucleus is built on that platform), there is NO/ZERO/ZILCH effect on sound quality. If the Core is underpowered, you get get dropouts, etc and it will be very noticable.

In this day and age, it will be hard to find an underpowered system to run Core on…

Now, a powerful system can contribute mechanical noise (e.g., the fans). But that’s why you separate the Core from the Endpoints. You can put the Core off in another room away from the listening environment, so any mechanical noise is a non-issue.

I’ve been using a headless Mac mini as the Roon core - 2018 3GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD networked to a Roon ready streaming DAC (Lumin T2). Works perfectly and sounds amazing.

Hi,

Haven’t had chance to scroll through all the replies just yet but it occurs to me that a good starting point might be to first understand what equipment you already have (network etc) and whether you’re saying you only want the simplest of ‘plug and play’ type solutions or if not what your technical ability level or threshold is? It may be that some options would be more suitable than others depending on your answers to these.

Thanks

Steve

The core only matters if hooking a dac up directly.

Having a good core though provides a seamless experience where there is little or no delay in the responsiveness. And if doing up sampling, can handle it with no stuttering.

Evo430 is also an option and special

If you are living in Europe, the PrimeMini4 from PrimeComputers in Switzerland is a good alternative to a Nucleus. https://shop.primecomputer.ch/en/eur/1~110/PrimeMini-4

1 Like

Thanks Peter. Do you have a link or name of the maker? Google search for ‘Evo 430’ doesn’t bring anything up.

If money is no issue, have a look at these monsters:

Wadax Atlantis server:

Taiko Audio SGM Extreme:

Wolf Audio Systems (various models):

Audio Aan Zee (various models, Dutch website only):

CAD CAT:

1 Like

That is because it should be EVO432.
Here is the link:

1 Like

A related question:
Up to the RoonLabs website refresh several weeks ago, there was a section on the old website regarding the CORE servers acknowledged by RoonLabs, which included quite a few of the brands and models mentioned n this topic.

As such, I’m wondering if these CORE-only brands will be listed again on the new website?

If you are planning on playing over your network then you should spend your excess audiophile dollars on your endpoint rather than your core. If you are connecting via USB and want maximum audio quality then you will want to avoid anything with a standard computer motherboard inside and then you’re talking about a lot of money.

1 Like

The Melco music servers are really good. You can contact Noel from Lovecable.eu

He gives great advice.

1 Like

I’m using an Innuos Zen 3 to good effect here. I don’t get dropouts.

I use a Synology NAS for roon core: DS3617xs, here I also have my ripped CDs

Player is on many devices:
Squeezebox
Naim Mu-so Qb 2nd Generation
Sony WH-1000XM3 (bluetooth connection to pc + Sony atmos app)
PC with speakers
Ipad device
Android devices

I love roon and use it many hours almost every day

1 Like