Roon core cannot find players or applets after changing core name from iMac (ref#D9GRKP)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Installation or Setup

Description of Issue

I just migrated to new mac studio from iMac. The iMac is now retired. The new mac studio found the iMac core and after downloading and installing the new Roon app, I changed the name of core from iMac to mac studio and it cannot find any players or applets, speakers etc. What have I done wrong - how do i fix?

Roon Core Platform

macOS

Roon Core Specifications

Old iMac had 32gb memory, 30 TB storage running capped mac os. New Mac Studio m2 pro max has 64gb memory, 2tb onboard storage.

Connected Audio Devices

Bluos Vault, Bluos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 3 appleTVs, 3 TiVo, Sonus system, Chord mojo, visio, pioneer and Sony a9 tvs

Home Network Details

Unify wifi with gigabit verizon internet, roon core is wired to 24 port unify switch but can connect either way. This has all been running for a couple years without issue - I just migrated to the mac studio computer from the iMac - all else is the same

Screenshot

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but to me it sounds as if:

• You hard your iMac running as a core
  • You installed Roon on your new Mac Studio, where you went to Settings > Setup and changed the “Core name”
  • You then retired your old iMac

I f this is indeed the case, then you did nothing more then change the name of the core running on your iMac. As a result, retiring your iMac would remove the core from the network, which could explain what you are seeing.

For a step by step guide on moving the core to a new machine, please refer to

Using an Apple migration tool to move Roon can cause failures. As noted in this post:

The steps to move Roon is detailed in this thread

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-move-my-roon-library-to-a-new-computer#Migrating_To_A_New_Computer

Try uninstalling Roon completely on the new Mac*. Download the latest from Roon and install that. Then restore a backup.

*There maybe hidden files that you need to manually delete, see this post…

As always “good” backups are need prior to doing this stuff. And by “good”, a backup that has been tested using a restore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.