Mac Mini M1 8GB RAM
MacOS Monterey 12.2.1
Roon version 1.8 (build 904) stable.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

About 200GB (21,000 Tracks)

Description of Issue

Hi, I haven’t had memory issues with Roon Core before but I noticed in the last week or so that tracks were taking longer to load and searches were taking longer and longer. I finally logged on to the Mac Mini and noticed that Roon’s memory usage was moving wildly between 8GB and 17GB (with over 12GB of memory being swapped). I restarted several times and reset all my endpoints, but it seems to have made things worse now as soon as Roon Core starts, it is immediately at over 3GB and steadily climbs to over 10GB within 2-3 minutes.

I’ve tried searching through the topics and I’m not sure I’ve seen a solution. Currently Roon is not usable for me at all. It’s not able to play a track for more than a few seconds without stuttering or hanging.

Thanks in advance,
Sung Kim

I had issues with a few things in Monterey and the M1 Mini, I added a BigSur partition to the M1 Mini and use this now with Roon. my system only normally gets restarted if there is a Roon or BigSur update.

I’m running ~350k tracks and 16GB Ram. More Ram is important in my setup with such a large library.

Thank you, wizardofoz. I’ll try this. Just thinking about this. Since I only use the M1 Mini for Roon (and HQPlayer Desktop), should I just revert the OS to Big Sur? Or are there other benefits to putting Roon on a separate partition?

I would try a different volume setup with bs and import the same user by migration or import the roon database from a backup and try and see how it runs under bs before killing the Monterey installation.

I only run roon on this mini

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.