Roon Core Misidentified My PC DAC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 running Roon build 416 stable 64 bit
Roon Bridge 169

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Network is not applicable as the DAC is direct connected via USB to this PC

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
My tenderer is a Burson Audio Play, made in Australia. It has an xCORE XMOS USB chip and is connected by USB. This USB DAC/headphone amp/preamp uses a Sabre 32 ESS9018 DAC

Description Of Issue
Roon has misidentified me device as Ayon S-10 II. This streamer uses an AKM DAC to my knowledge. You may verify the DAC as you must know this Ayon DAC already…
The problem then is that MQA rendered by Roon Core will be incorrect if it is misidentifying the end point DAC.

Secondly, has does Roon identify any USB DAC accurately? It has recognised my Meridian Explorer2 DAC network connected to a Raspberry Pi2 running RoPeee however. So it would be interesting to better understand how Roon does this?

2019-09-12%2020_05_40-Roon

Your Roon Build number is way old…it should be B416 that is correct.

Please show a screen shop of the about tab to make sure you are on the right track for your build version.

My bad, I was quoting Roon Bridge, I only just started using this two days back.
The actual Roon build is 416 stable 64 bit.

Turn off your windows firewall

Pardon? All other end points are working. The one not working correctly is the one connected to the PC running Roon Core via USB. I am not sure I follow your logic please.

Just to eliminate it as a possible issue. IIRC the local remote software communicates with the server component via the loopback port 127.0.0.1

Have you tried doing this (disable the firewall) yet?

Hi @Patrick_Phillips,

You have our apologies here — There was an issue with the identification process that we’ve since fixed. In Device Setup choose the option for “Not Your Device” and save and that should fix things for you.

Thank you for your response.
I have now done this and it lists as “xCORE USB Audio 2.0” and as an “Unidentified Device”.

Does this now mean I have degraded performance to this device as Roon is not aware of endpoint DAC?
Why then would Roon display some end points as known and specific hardware? That is, is there any specific advantage in Roon knowing the endpoint hardware please?
2019-09-14%2014_39_40-Roon

Well this makes a some sense using the loopback address of the computer to communicate to the local hardware as it should simplify the coding of Roon.

As far as I know, the firewall is open as Roon is communicating with other endpoints in my house. To investigate further, I would appreciate a list ports used by Roon for loopback. What I have found so far are the following: Which indicates that device endpoint are specific as I now suspect the loopback is.

Squeezeboxes (transporter, touch, radio) appear to communicate on TCP/3483 and TCP/9000
Raspberry Pi RoonBridges (Raspian Lite) appear to use TCP/51283 TCP/51317 TCP/59211
iPad air RoonRemote appears to connect on port TCP/9100 and TCP/9101
Android phone RoonRemote appears to only connect on port TCP/9101

Thank you for the clarification.

Roon only identifies devices that manufacturers have provided for Roon to test and work with. See this list. It does not seem that Burson is on it,

https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

This does not mean your Burson will not work fine with Roon via USB it just means it won’t automatically get setup to work 100% correctly and you may have to tweak some of the settings in the audio setup menu yourself.

See this for more details.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_Setup_Basics

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.