Roon core network ports

I have Roon core running on Mac-Mini M2 with Ventura OS. I connect to it with iPad in the same room. It’s always worked great, no connection problems. I’ve had att internet for years, and my modem failed, so att came out and replaced it. Now it’s very difficult to get the two to connect, and takes a lot of trial and error to get Roon on iPad to connect to Roon core on the Mini. The service guy fought it, but when it finally connected, he left. It worked yesterday, but not today without a lot of fighting it again (rebooting, network on/off, etc). I called att again, and she said modem config probably needed to be changed to allow connection (I agree with this), so then she started asking questions like what port numbers Roon core used for connection, and I’m clueless.

Assume Roon core software uses TCP for network connections, right? I can get the MAC address of the machines, but I have no idea what port numbers Roon core listens to for connections. I haven’t found anything in Setup about it, or a way to set it. I’ve seen a post or two that says it uses port 55000 by default, but they were asking about ARC. I don’t use that, don’t use anything fancy. I use Roon the old way, and have been happy. Just connect Roon on iPad to Roon core on the Mini, both in the house. Roon core is connected to router/modem with hard line, and iPad is wireless. It’s always worked until modem was replaced yesterday.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

David Salguero

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

@David_Salguero, I recategorized (for now) your post the Network topic discussion where other users may be able to address what you are experiencing. Should Roon support be needed, we can move it back there.

For now, what router or gateway is the replacement from AT&T? Do you have another router in your network, or use just what AT&T provided? Are your WiFi networks named the same on the new router as the old router, or do you have another router providing WiFi in your home?

Also, how is your Roon Core M2 mini connected to your network? Ethernet cable, WiFi, and to what is it connected?

The gateway (att calls it a modem, but it’s like a router) is owned by att. Mine old one failed, and they brought out a new unit and hooked it up. I only have that router/gateway. My setup is extremely simple. I have three devices hardwired to it, and it puts out wifi. I have no control over how modem is configured. Att does that. The guy downloaded an update that was supposed to configure it just like the old one.

That’s all that was changed. And everything worked fine on the old one until it died. On the new one I have access to internet fine and can use browsers, email, etc. The one thing that doesn’t work is the connection from the iPad to the MacMini with Roon software. The MacMini is one of the devices connected by an ethernet cable to the router/modem. The iPad is connected with Wifi (like the computer I’m using to do this message). Both MacMini and iPad see internet and their browsers work fine, so they see the network. When I called att, they could see my router/modem and that both devices were connected to it. It all looked normal to them, but I think the new router is blocking the connection somehow, except that every once in a while it will allow it. It allows it once in a while when I turn on Wifi on the MacMini, so then I have both the ethernet cable connected and the Wifi connected. Seems like that would not work, but that’s the only way I’ve gotten it connected, and you have to try turning Wifi on and off a bunch of times and get lucky.

Apparently Att can remotely configure the router/modem to allow the two devices to talk to each other. They need the MAC address (which I can get) and the port number(s) used by Roon core that’s listening for remote connections. I do not know the port numbers used by Roon core. That’s really all I’m asking right now. What are the network port numbers used by Roon Labs Core, so Att can configure the router to allow connections to be made between the two devices.

This should be simple question. Then I’ll let Att try to configure modem and see if that works. There are no other devices involved between the MacMini and iPad. All this worked fine before they replaced the dead modem with the new one, so that has to be the problem and it’s their problem. They just need some information to try to help me.

Hope this answers your questions. This is about as simple of a setup as you can get, so it’s baffling why it doesn’t work unless they have some new security checks in this new modem. That’s my suspicion, and if the MAC addresses and port number can be used to allow connections, then it should work.

Thanks, David

I don’t know whether the values are still valid, but the port number ranges were given in this thread dating from 2015…

Ports really should not matter internally as they are generally open and not blocked , it’s from the router side to outside your network that ports are blocked, Roon doesn’t use an external port apart from ARC which is 55000 by default. Internally it uses a lot of different port ranges for endpoints using TCP and UDP they tend to be random within a given range, but it’s very odd for a router to block internal port traffic.

Roon uses multicast for discovery of remotes, it’s relies on a similar system to airplay and requires the router to be able to pass these through. Not all wireless systems do so I would ask him about if it supports multicast and if it supports mDNS routing as this is required.

Also double check that the wired network and wireless network have been setup so that they are on the same subnet. Again some routers can run wireless on a separate subnet, Roon needs all device on same subnet.

4 Likes

That looks like the new modem/router blocked the multicast required by Roon - this is unfortunately fairly common and not specific to this ISP.

Unless others have Roon-specific experiences with this ISP router, I believe the best chance you have is to turn the new modem/router into “bridge mode” (so that it functions as a modem only, not as a router), then connect an ordinary WiFi 6 router from TP-Link or Asus. All your Roon core or wired Roon endpoints should connect to this WiFi 6 router, and your iPad and phones should connect to the WiFi 6 from this router. Disable the WiFi from the modem/router if you can.

If for any reason it is not possible to change the modem/router to “bridge mode”, you can still use the same configuration I suggested above, with the difference that the TP-Link / Asus should be changed into Access Point mode, with the WiFi SSID (name) being different from the WiFi from the modem/router.

One thing to try is to ask ATT to enable IGMP snooping.
Or it might be solved (something you could try) if you connect all your devices (including the wifi access points) to an external switch ie:

ATT modem/router → switch → devices

Thanks to everyone for responses!

For whatever reason, it’s working this morning. I’m guessing if you use it somewhat regularly it will maintain the connection. But if you don’t use it for few days, which I do every now and then, it may not work. Whatever it is, it’s subtle. From experience, problems like this will return at some point.

I’ll just keep using it like I always have and see how it goes. It’s sure is frustrating when you run into problems like this that seem random. All I know for sure is I never had any problem like this with the old modem, so it’s something to do with that. I’m pretty sure I’ll be calling att about it again at some point.

Thanks again, David

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.