Roon Core on Mac OSX crashing on launch

@support: Roon Core is crashing on launch, and I’m dead in the water. I deleted and re-installed, same issue. I see console log entires like this when I attempt to launch Roon server:

5/16/18 6:10:56.201 PM RoonAppliance[1369]: !!! BUG: The current event queue and the main event queue are not the same. Events will not be handled correctly. This is probably because _TSGetMainThread was called for the first time off the main thread.

OSX El Capitan, v10.11.6

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Unclear what version of Roon running, since unable to launch it, but I downloaded it from your website earlier today, 7/17/2018. Can you help me get back up and running, please? Thanks,

kobi

Hate to say this but your MacMini is well below the minimum spec for roon. Probably not SSD either. 2012 macs started to be in the lowest of min spec cpu wise.

2012 (and a 2011 as general server) quad-core i7 Mac mini here. Apple stopped offering quad-core i7s in newer ones :roll_eyes:
so… not just widely in Roon specs but even towards the upper end :wink:

To be specific see https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

Intel Core i3, Ivy Bridge+
4GB RAM
SSD boot drive
1440 x 900 Resolution

I dont recall any Ivy Bridge before 2012 in the desktop, laptop or mini series macs

@Kobi_Eshun While this might run on your hardware - it will probably not be a great experience for your first time with Roon.

Have you totally removed the installation including the /Library folders that roon uses? Just removing the App from Applications is not enough to uninstall.

see https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location

Hi @Kobi_Eshun — Thank you for your detailed report!

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Regards,
Dylan

Awesome – thanks, Dylan.

I just relaunched on said Mini. Looking forward to hearing if you unearth anything.

kobi

Yeah, this is indeed a, um, venerable specimen of a machine, but it’s actually been chugging along as a music server pretty much without a glitch for years: Audirvana+ up until I switched to Roon about a year ago. And I failed to mention in my bug report that it does have an SSD.

I’m actually more concerned about my decision not to upgrade to the Sierra OSes, because I don’t particularly want to migrate my Mac Server configuration. It would be a bummer if Roon Core stopped working on account of that. Cheers,

kobi

Hi, Dylan.

Not sure what, if anything, you did, but RoonServer is running again. However, my database seems to have been completely wiped out. Not catastrophic, but painful to be sure. Any thoughts or insight on what happened, and chances of recovering the old DB? Cheers,

kobi

Update: DB magically reappeared after system reboot, along with missing audio devices (previously unreported). Happy ending, but would appreciate insight on what happened here. Thanks,

kobi

The highest you can go on such a vintage MacMini is 10.11.6 so Sierra is not possible even if you wanted to. Only the Mid 2010 Mini and Server are able to run Sierra … you can check all this on the MacTracker App here But even then are still under spec for a good roon system. I know I have a couple of them and as a Roon Bridge they are perfect … but as a Server they are barely capable for snappy system.

Hey @Kobi_Eshun,

Thank you for the updates, I’m glad to hear you are up and running! I wanted to let you know that we have received the diagnostics report as well and they are in the queue for the technical team to analyze. It sounds like you’re all good to go now, but if anything is found in the logs that show why you were experiencing this behavior I’ll be sure to update you!

Happy listening!

-Dylan