Roon core on PC dropping SB devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Asus PC Intel i7, W10, latest core version running

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wifi and ethernet connection on ISP modem/router Livebox4 (Orange)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

3 Squeezeboxes by WiFi, 1 by ethernet

Description Of Issue

For the first time ever…have had 2 full dropouts in the last week. Don’t see why. Came home from work and all 4 devices « cannot connect to server ».
Had to reload Roon core on PC and restart/reconnect all 4 devices. 3 dropped from wifi and 1 dropped from ethernet connection. Roon Server IP has not changed. Reconnection to all devices was successful…after roon core re-installation, but what happened?
Can’t be doing this even infrequently…
Thanks for your feedback.
Brgds,
David

Hi @anon20693046,

How is the Core connected to your network? Is it over WiFi or Ethernet?
Since you have already resolved the issue, it’s hard to troubleshoot what exactly could have happened but if this does occur again I would try the following and note the result of each individual step:

1. Reboot endpoints
  2. Reboot networking gear
  3. Reboot Core

Has there been any firmware updates to our router? As mentioned in our Networking Best Practices, we generally recommend customers to use consumer-grade routers as we have often seen that ISP-provided equipment does not properly pass through multicast traffic, which Roon requires to operate properly.

Hello Noris,
Thanks for the reponse. The core is connected to network by ethernet. My ISP boxes have generally been very reliable for the last 20 years. Current version in place for 9 months following FTTH installation. Since starting Roon, never had a drop incident and see no logical reason why this would start suddenly.
Will continue to monitor and verify all settings, including your suggestions.
One question though: is there any value or interest in de-installing Roon core from PC and then reinstall fresh download from Roon website…just to refresh the overall installation paths and settings?
Thanks.

You shouldn’t have to do this often unless there was a configuration or database issue, but I suspect that it may have been able to be resolved with a reboot of the Core/Networking Gear or Endpoints.

If the issue has subsided, then I don’t think there is a benefit. If it occurs again we can certainly try this as a troubleshooting step, but I would try rebooting the above aspects first before going to this step.