Roon Core on ROCK/NUC get stuck

My setup: Roon Core: NUC11TNHi3, Crucial SO-DIMM 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22, SSD Patriot P300 256GB, ROCK (version 2.0, latest build 1223), connected to router.
Roon Remote: PC (Windows, build 1211), Iphone 11pro, IPad
Storage: HDD WD passport 1GB, connected directly via USB. rather small collection of music (below 300 albums)
End point: Volumio on Raspberry Pi 3B+

Problem:
Roon core gets stuck. As result: it is not visible on roon remote, web interface is not accessible and \ROCK\data\ is not assessible as well, but power button is on, it can be discovered by Fing and can be pinged via FIng as well.
Pushing power button doesn’t switch it off. Only long pressing helps. After restart, HDD is not visible and requires “repair disk” action on windows computer. This happens few times a week, but I cannot identify the trigger.

At a guess, there are two things going on here:

• the SSD may be failing, but the first thing to do is to reinstall Roon OS using the Reinstall button in the Web Administration interface, to see if that fixes things.
  • is the WD passport formatted as NTFS? If so, take a backup of your music files from it, then reformat it as exFAT - that is a much better format as far as Roon OS is concerned.

Same problem here with today’s update

The exact same problem or something similar? Whichever, it would be best if you opened a separate, new Support request in the #support category and filled out the post template with details of your setup and Roon installation. Thank you.

Exact same problem after updated to build 1223

Thanks for the reco. I reinstalled Roon OS and reformatted HDD, will keep you informed on the status. In the meantime, thinking of SSD… when I unpacked the SSD it looked a bit bent (see attached photo), but I don’t know if it’s normal or not as I never used this format before.

Hmm - I’ve not seen a bent SSD before. It’s certainly not normal…

Never seen this before.
Could it have been preinstalled somewhere, so the drive looks bent?

Don’t use that it could have stressed all the circuits.

1 Like

no, I purchased it new

I suggest returning it as swiftly as you can, and get a replacement.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Finally I replaced SSD. All is working stable during 5 days now.

1 Like