Roon Core on Synology NAS?

Roon seems to have a memory leak. I am using the DSM task scheduler to stop and start the Roon package each night. So the memory consumption is kept fairly low.

1 Like

Thank you @Chris_KA and @Bernd_Kurte . I just stopped the service to test this out. When I clicked “Run” Memory resources are much lower.

It did want to update the database on restart. Does that happen every time if I automate it? I thought I had updated everything.

Is your system swapping ? If not it might just be that Roon allocates a generous amount of Ram just in case but will release it if another app needs it maybe ?

How big is your library (# of tracks) my core uses like 5gb but it’s a big 270k tracks library. That’s on windows10.

1 Like

Be aware to shut Roon gently down. I would not recommend to kill the service or process. Make sure you use the task scheduler and in there stop and five minutes later start the Roon package. (Same as choosing ‘stop’ within the packet manager handling the Roon package)

If not shut down decently you might run into a compromised database and have to restore from backup.

In general make sure your Roon backup procedure works ok.

1 Like

Would say it’s a leak. Roon does not release almost any RAM once it grabbed it.

I have a small library on my 1520+ (8gb RAM) and when Roon starts the system level memory consumption seems reasonable. Come back a couple days later and it’s grown quite a lot (still below 100%, but greatly increased over time).

@DigitalFrog I do not know how to answer that.

@wizardofoz my library is 13k files

ok that’s good to know that in some instances, at least one instance, on a non synology install, that 5GB memory usage is normal. I came from a NUC so I have no frame of reference.

@Bernd_Kurte thanks for the heads up.

Hi, I’ve got a DS1817+ with added 10Mb ethernet and USB3 SSD for the Roon DB and SSD memory cache and more RAM than I need. Fully loaded. Everything seems to work just fine. Controllers are either Pi-s or a new iMac pro. I know the Atom CPU is less than modern, but getting the server updates have to come from the trusted 3rd party. Is it ever going to come from Roon itself, or am I going to have to be forced to upgrade to a new Intel version? I don’t mind getting the updates from the developer that’s doing the work on the SW but doesn’t seem sustainable.