Roon Core on Synology NAS?

Hi,

I’ve read that it is possible to install a Roon Core on a Synology NAS, but need help in how to set it up. Can anyone please advise on a fairly easy way to begin?

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks…

The first place I’d start is to review the Roon Faq: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

Which model were you thinking about? It must have an Intel/AMD processor, and, I’d say at least 4 GB of RAM.

Thanks, I have seen the the link you sent. I have a Synology DS218+, but with the installed 2 GB of Ram. I could upgrade if necessary.

How much of a machine you need to run RoonServer depends on how much music you have, how many simultaneous endpoints are being played to, and how much DSP and/or upsampling you will be employing on playback.

That machine has a couple of potential issues that might detract from providing a robust Roon experience, depending, of course, on usage as I mentioned above. Base suggested minimums, are an Intel i3 CPU, 4 GB RAM, and an SSD to run Roon on or in the case of a NAS, locate Roon’s database.

Please re-read the FAQ’s sections:

What will happen if Roon Server runs on a slower CPU (such as Atom or Celeron)?
and
What will happen if the Roon database runs on a spinning disk (non-SSD)?

As they will apply to you if using that NAS.

I would try it and see how it works. If the performance is acceptable then you are done. If you find that it is a bit slow, then you might have to increase the hardware if possible.

Also, please see this site as linked from the bottom of the FAQ: https://roononnas.org/en/synology/

Thanks, I’d like to try. My music files are on my NAS already, but if I’m successful can I change my Roon to the NAS instead of my Mac, or can I run Roon from either place without buying another subscription? If I can’t use both, is it possible to transfer my Roon software from my Mac to the NAS?

Created a shared folder and downloaded the RoonServer file “spk”, but don’t know how to install, and proceed from there.

I really appreciate your help. I’ve been using Roon for a while, but only had my NAS for a short time and still learning.

Your roon lic is activated wherever you run it…and deactivated on the last place you ran it…no need to buy another lic

https://kb.roonlabs.com/How_many_licenses_do_I_need%3F

Thanks you…

Please help? I’m very confused. I believe I have Roon set up on my Synology NAS. Created a shared folder, installed the “spk”.My music is in a Roon Shared Music folder. Deactivated Roon on my Mac and Enabled my NAS. Cannot see any way to access or see the Roon app on my NAS, browser or Smart TV. How can I get to or control Roon from my NAS? Is there a Roon app that can be installed on my Synology NAS?

Many thanks, frustrated, but hopefully making progress.

The regular Roon Software on Windows and Mac combines 3 segments of the Roon ecosystem: Core, Control and Output. (See this article for further information)
Roon Server only has 2 of these segments: Core and Output.
You still need to connect to the Core with the Roon app on a laptop, smartphone or tablet to control it. (You can select “Connect to a remote Core” at the beginning and it should find your Core on the NAS.

Thanks, I can now access through my iPhone. Is there a way to access Roon on my Smart TV also?

Thanks all for the support. I’m all set, but still wondering if it’s possible to access Roon on my NAS on the Samsung Smart TV…

Short answer; No…

You will want to also use a PC or tablet, as the phone version has fewer features and options.

Thanks, I will try my iPad as well…

I’ve been using Roon on a Synology DS218+ and a single 8Gb memory module. The onboard memory can easily be replaced by-the-way! My library was 30.000+ tracks, a mix of MP3 and FLAC. Never experienced any problems as long as I did not too much DSP filtering. Equalization was no problem, but the Convolution DSP for Room Correction was too much load for the NAS CPU, resulting in stuttering tracks.

1 Like

Hallo Ron,
ich habe versucht den RoonServer Core auf meine Synology 713+ zu installieren. Leider
bekomme ich immer den Fehler “Der Paketdienst konnte nicht ausgeführt werden” Das
RoonServer Verzeichnis mit Freigabe habe ich vorher schon eingerichtet. Hast Du eine
Idee was das sein kann?

Danke und entschuldige dass ich in deutsch schreibe. Mein englisch reicht
dafür leider nicht aus.

Viele Grüße
Peter

Hi Peter,
Erscheint die Meldung beim Ausführen von Roon Server oder bei der Installation?
Folgendes kannst du zudem prüfen:
Sind Drittanbieter-Applikationen in den Einstellungen des Package Centers erlaubt?
Die “RoonServer”-Freigabe muss exakt so eingerichtet werden. D.h. Groß- und Kleinschreibung muss beachtet werden und sie darf auch kein Leerzeichen enthalten.

Hi Christopher,
Installation funktioniert ohne Fehlermeldung und Drittanbieter-Applikationen
sind erlaubt. Ich habe penible auf die Schreibweise vom Ordner “RoonServer”
geachtet und genau so geschrieben.

Danke für deine Hilfe.

Grüße
Peter

Du muss die folder ‘RoonServer’ genau so schreiben, nicht Roonserver oder roonserver. Wenn du es genau schreibt wird es kein problem sein.

Is this hardware sufficient to run Roon Core?

Excerpt of Synology_DS713_Plus_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf