Roon Core on Synology NAS?

Hi, I am about to enter the wonderful world of Roon. I started this weekend with a test environment setting up Roon core on an HP SFF PC I had lying around running on Ubuntu. It’s a core i5 4590s, 8 Gb of RAM and still a 2.5 inch HD.

My music library Is currently about 100 albums but will grow to about 800-1000 as I want to digitise all my physical media.

The library is stored in my Synology DS1515+ NAS. I am now convinced about staying with Roon and am looking to find a more permanent home for my core. I still don’t want to buy a NUC as it will set me up at least 600 EUR to improve on my current setup. However I am inclined to retire the HP PC from a 24/7 job as I reckon its power consumption is too high.

is my Synology capable of running my core? I currently have 8 gb of RAM and can upgrade easily to 16. I can also add an SSD for Roon as I have a spare slot on my NAS. My Roon library is not that large (of course my Qobuz subscription will also be integrated), and I don’t think I have the setup to really play with DSP in terms of overall SQ. My main end point is currently a RPI 4 running Ropieee and I will repurpose at least one CCA for another rig.

Well, the best way is to try it and see if it works for your use case.

A simple setup still it’s recommended that the database is on an ssd at the very least even on a nas.

It’s clear I cannot do it in zero cost. I will add an ssd for Roon server/dB and more RAM. Just wanted to see if someone else has a similar setup. I found posts with similar setups but they are from 2017. I don’t want to spend the money for nothing since option 2 is getting a NUC. The HP pc has a 135w power supply and ecologically this too much of foot print. The NUC will consume less than a third, and the Synology will be optimal as it runs anyway 24/7 plus will be much cheaper to repurpose.

No, you misunderstood. I meant try it now, to get a feel for how it performs on your current NAS without upgrading anything.

Don’t upgrade the RAM of the NAS as 16 GB is not really needed for ROON anyway. Just try it on your NAS and see how it works. Is it a bit slow, then think about getting the SSD to offload the database.

Got you. Will do that!

I ran it on an 8 bay fully loaded non SSD DS1813+ 4GB Ram and 37TB (8 x 6TB SHR) synology but its was not great with a large library of 250K+ tracks.YMMV. DSD upsampling was not workable. Now I use a fanless i7-7700 MOCK setup which used to run W10

I just set up Roon on NAS on my Synology D218+ with 6GB RAM and 2 4TB drives; no SSD. Library is about 15K tracks integrated with another couple thousand on Tidal. So far it seems to run pretty well. CPU usage other than for the initial scanning of the media runs 10-20%; memory around 15%. Only current issue is an occasional song skip in full track shuffle mode. As long as the endpoint is hardwired, it seems to be almost non-existent. WIth wifi, happens maybe 1 song in 20.

My first Set-up was Roon on my Synology 1511+ with 3GB RAM and a USB for the database. While it worked… well it worked, but the response was not quite snappy and occasionally dropouts during playback occurred - even without any DSP and only one Zone playing. I also monitored the CPU load and the memory, and while the CPU never got above 15% I had the impression Roon was not working flawlessly. I think the consideration should be like:
how big is your library and how fast and big will it grow
how many zones do you have or use simultaneously
do you intend to use DSP
You also should consider whether - and how many services you have running on your NAS.
I also liked the idea of having Roon on the NAS which is running 24/7 anyway but the result was not satisfactory.
Finally I ended up with a NUC and Rock and that really did the trick.
All the music is on the NAS. I can run as much Services on the NAS I like and don’t have to bother at all about performance issues.
But then again, my Synology is already 9 years old!

It is suggested to connect a SSD internally or via USB, for the database. I did, but how do I set it up to use the external SSD for the database? It did not come up when installing Roon on the synology.

So, I’m running Roon on a Synology 220+ with 6Gb of RAM. I’ve also got Plex for my films and TV, and Calibre (in Docker) for my books on my NAS.
About 25,000 tracks and 5 endpoints. Performance is great, even when someone is viewing 4K video and someone else is listening to MQA. No SSD, just a pair of 8GB WD Red drives.

1 Like

Hello, how are you? Did you find an answer for that?

create the RoonServer shared folder on the SSD or move it there (while RoonServer is stopped)

I am using a DS918+ with SSD, Read/Write SSD-Cache and 12 GB RAM. It works fine with a bit over 10K Albums.

Wow, I have to say, I’m kind of blown away at the simplicity of set-up on my DS918+, and though I thought I’d be doing DSP all over the place, in fact for my use case the performance is just fine. In many ways is working better than the NUC10 I had (albeit with a lot fewer cores), freeing up the NUC to be my new desktop machine.

@crieke Dang. You are doing some great work.

3 Likes

Hi there.
Roon Server won’t install on my DS218. I’m running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3. So I guess I’m not having a DSM 7 issue. An external SSD is attached to the DS via USB 3.0 in order to become RoonServer, and I’ve given it exactly that name. Also, third-party installations are enabled in the DS’s package center. Nevertheless, upon installation the system’s telling me like: “that package is not being supported on this platform or incompatible with your current DSM version”. The Roon Server installer file I’m using is the most recent version (of March 8, 2021).
Any suggestions would be appreciated muchly :slight_smile:
Thanks.

Hello Peter,
Roon Core only works on intel processors.
The DS218 has a Realtek CPU.
Regards,
Roland

Hello Roland,
Thanks a lot. That’s unfortunate. But I’ve been doing a trial-and-error thing anyway.
Regards.
Peter

I’m running Roon on a Synology DS918+. All drives are SSD. I have 8gb of Synology RAM installed.

Last night I noticed that my Memory usage is above 70%.

Roon is using 4.98GB of that.

Is that normal?

I use this NAS for Photo and Video editing as well. I am worried the resources will not be available for editing my next shoot.

Hi Jamie,

I used to run the core on a 916+ with 8GB successfully but I also noticed the memory increase. I recommend to restart the core regularly like every 3 days. You can automate this. Otherwise I was really impressed on the performance.

1 Like