Roon Core on Windows 10

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi BT HH6

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

PC, USB, External Dac

Description Of Issue
Hiya new user here. Sorry for the newb question. But if I leave my pc on all the time with Roon app open everything is good. If I leave the PC on but close the app, no access to the core. Is it a case that I need to leave the app open all the time so other devices can access the core. Many thanks and best regards

In short yes, however, there are options …

The “full” Roon install on Windows includes the Core, Audio Transport and the GUI.

If you want the GUI then most people just leave it minimised till needed.
If you don’t need the GUI, you could install Roon Server which runs all the time but has no GUI.

It is possible to install both Roon Server and the “All in One” Roon application on the same PC, then when the Roon app is run to access the GUI it runs as a “remote” (as the core is already running).

Hope that make some sense, but do have a read of this, see below …

Hey @ian_rollo,

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to Roon. We’re delighted you’re giving it a try. @Carl’s explanation is really great. Please, reply with any questions that come up :smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much for the quick response and that explanation is exactly what I was looking for Carl. So if I uninstall the full program, then install the server. Then install the program a second time but only as remote I should be able to close the remote app and just leave the PC on all the time. Best Regards Ian

2 Likes

Hi @ian_rollo,
Yep, that should do it …

Probably not as this is a brand new installation however, if there is anything in the Roon DB you need to keep … then use the Roon application to first make a DB backup, which you can then later restore.

1 Like

Many thanks!

No need to uninstall the full Roon package!
Just do a backup, then close the installed Roon instance.
Install Roon Server package, start and when requested, authorize it as the new core instance.
IIRC you don’t even need to restore from the backup, everything should fall into place automagically.

1 Like

Many thanks…

If you install the full Roon package again (which you have to as there is no Win10 Roon GUI only app) it will suggest to you to run your new install as new core. You need to select your previously installed core manually. Make sure that you are really running that core by shutting it down deliberately. That makes it confusing to run two full installs, one for the core and one for the gui. Hence a simple core installation followed by a full Roon is simpler. Plus the core will start by itself upon a win boot more easily.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.