Roon Core on Xeon based server

Hi,
My Roon server is currently running on a I5 NUC… and other services are running on separate hardware… I want to combine everything to a unique server based on intel Xeon Processor …

That server will be based on Debian Linux and will run the following services:
1- Roon Core
2-Ubiquiti Unifi server (for UAPS)
3-openmediavault (NAS)
4-Ubiquiti CCTV server software.

Can anyone help with any suggestion…

Will Roon core run on Xeon based system? will it perform well compared to a I7 based system?

will Roon perform well alongside other services?

What will be the best options…

The plan is to reduce the number of devices at home…

Thx

I tried that. Depending on your machine and what you want to do, it may not be acceptable. I switched to an i5 NUC and the results are much better.

See this -

If you want to reduce devices, I suggest one of the newer i7s or i9s. They have at least 6 cores and the clock speed is much higher. The Xeon is not meant for a Roon application.

Thanks a lot for your comments

So clearly, are you telling me that the NUCi5 is the best option for Roon at my current setup?

That has been my experience.

I made additional comments while you were posting a reply. Check up above.

So Could built a machine based on a i7s and that will run with no issues?

Absolutely.

My next machine will be an i7 or i9, running various VMs, etc…

Thanks a lot Slim…

Can you please share your dream/best components for such a machine…

I really want to reduce the number of machine at home…

I was thinking of getting a Shuttle XPC cube with a very powerful processor…

Thx

I build my own machines, which may not be your cup of tea. Still, any computer shop will do it for you.

This is my current list of components. No guarantees.

Although some of these components are designed for overclocking, you don’t need to do that to run ROON.

Very Good Man
thx a lot…
just need a efficient cooling system…

This is what i’m contemplating -

In my server rack -

Have fun. :sunglasses:

I run Roon core on Dell PowerEdge T30 Xeon E3-1225V5 running Ubuntu 18.04 with absolutely no issues. In addition, I operate this alongside CCTV and Plex. The system drive is SSD (ext4) with ZFS pool for storage.

I picked up the server new for £330 complete with 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, CD-RW and the processor. I added an extra 8GB ECC and would like to replace the processor with the Skylake Xeon E3-1260L v5 at some point.

The only downside to the server is that it only supports four SATA devices; an add-on card is needed to extend this. It’s very quiet and handles its workload very well.

Thanks a lot
I now have my system…
I can built this myself… by can i get in touch if I need more help, please?

thx

Of course.

I bought my dual Xeon motherboard on EBay for $150 (as I remember). It drank electricity, had 8 fans, and sounded like a WWII bomber on takeoff.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd512-is-this-even-possible-yes-just-needs-more-cpu/32749/17?u=slim_fishguttz

2 Likes

Ha Ha this is a great description of the computer. I am running my Roon Core on a dual Xeon machine (Dell Precision 690) as well that is heavier than a tank, the fans are noisy, but it just keeps going and going and going. Craigslist purchase but it had 64GB of memory, four hard drives, plenty of overhead to run the Core without even going over about 15% processor power. It just sits on a shelf in the basement and runs everything (including a DivX movie server, JRiver server and others) and I don’t even know it’s there. Win 7 setup. I have also thought about something newer and quieter and smaller but don’t know what I would gain by it, what I have just works so I leave it alone.

2 Likes

I use a Dell PowerEdge T630 with 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630L v3 @ 1.80 GHz 8 core (16 threads) CPUs and 48 GB for running RoonServer, however not Linux but Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. RoonServer, Plex Media Server and some other applications run directly under Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, other applications (eg. Logitech Media Server, Universal Media Server, Image Bank Server, DBPowerAmp) run virtualized unter VMWare Workstation Prof.
I have not tried upsampling to DSD512 so far, but would expect that a Xeon server is capable of doing this like an i7, if the clock speed suffices. The clock speed can obviously be the limiting factor for one thread processing tasks.