Roon Core 2.0 (build 1311) production

Networking Gear & Setup Details
Internet/WAN: DSL 260 Mbit/s down; 50 MBit/s up
Router: fritz!box 7590
Music files on Synology NAS
ROCK and NAS are connected by wired LAN

Connected Audio Devices
iPhone 12, iOS 16.6.1
ropieee player 2023.07.1 (1068) and Topping D50s (DAC)
(and more endpoints)

Number of Tracks in Library
313,000+ tracks

Description of Issue

The Roon Core restarts every 2 to 5 Minutes. I am not able to use it anymore.
Issue started last night. I changed nothing (as far as I know).

Actions done without success:

• Restart Roon Server
  • Reboot ROCK on NUC
  • Restart router
  • had a look at the server logs on ROCK

Please help. I can provide server log, if needed. Thanks.

@Henrik_Lampe, how large is your Roon database that is on the NUC ROCK’s 256GB SSD?? 313K files is fairly large, and you may also be running out of RAM (8GB is a bit low for such a large library).

Thanks for your reply.
I am not sure, how to find out the database size. The database core folder on ROCK has got
17.2 GB.
However, if the Core runs out of memory is, I would expect a corresponding error message or a least a warning before reaching this limit.

Nope it just crashes.

With a library of 315K tracks I too recommend having 16GB RAM.

1 Like

ROCK doesn’t have any memory usage or thermal warning systems and as Carl mentions will just “crash” and that is the way it was designed. This is one of the reasons why some users who want/need that level of OS and hardware monitoring use an OS which allows them to run monitoring software.

Either way I agree with my fellow moderators, 8 GB of RAM is way to low for that library, imho

2 Likes

8 GB RAM ordered :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Navigate to ROCK’s web admin page in a web browser. Should be http://rock

2 Likes

As an aside, I think there is scope to further develop the web interface page to include more information such as that highlighted in this thread and more. Linux commands to pull such information is fairly straight forward and I do not believe it would take a huge amount of development to update the web interface with a nice user friendly view of this information. Food for thought …

1 Like

Hi agreed, IIRC there’s quite a bit of discussion on the in Feature Suggestions.

Also check this topic …

Which is a good place for further discussion on this, so focus is not lost on the OP’s issue.

1 Like

This is, what i did

The web page won’t tell you the size directly, it will show you the percent of the OS drive used, which also includes the OS files. The easiest is to get a feel for the database size is, imho, to do a backup and review the back up size.

1 Like

I supposed the point was to see whether the drive filled up because the thing keeps rebooting, not to see the actual DB size because who cares if the drive has space :slight_smile:

Anyway, if we know the drive size and the fill percentage, we can get a feel for the DB size as the OS size is practically a constant and small enough to be not very relevant with a large DB

1 Like

ROCK is shut down now.
But I remeber free space on the 256 GB SSD is about 92% (=235 GB).
Free SSD space is not the problem here.
I hope on Monday when the additional 8 GB RAM will arrive :crossed_fingers:

I miss my music :sleepy:

Random restarts could also be due to a faulty power supply.

1 Like

Additional 8 GB RAM are installed. ROCK is up and running. Problem is solved. Good investment (EUR 14).

Thanks to everybody here for you help :pray:.

I do not like the Roon app behavior to crash when RAM is too small. Even the log files were not helpful for me. My expectation (or attitude) is, that an application never crashes without any message. Let’s hope, Roonlabs will improve ROCK and/or Roon Core in this area, too. :crossed_fingers:

But for now I am safe: “4GB RAM minimum, 16GB should be more than you will ever need.” Quote from … :grinning:

2 Likes

Depends on library size. But, most people’s libraries never scale to that high. I was going to ask how fast your library is growing as that should factor into the decision.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.