Roon Core shutting down after a few days running 24/7

Roon Core Machine

Roon version 2 (build 1244).
MacOS Monterey
3.7GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon E5 with 12 GB RAM.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am confused as to wether I am addressing this problem to Roon Technical support or not!

Previously the core operated 24/7 with no problems. Of late the core, after running for a few days closes with a message to the effect “Roon has unexpectedly shut down” When the core is restarted the app shuts down again after few days.

Is this a known issue?

Yes you are. The forum’s Support category is exactly that. Support may ask you to fill out the other questions in the posting template, so it will speed up things if you do that.

There is a known issue with a - for some - frequent crash on macOS. This shows with “Crashed Thread: .NET ThreadPool Worker” in the Mac’s crash message, if you get one. Roon are working on a fix for that one and a workaround is available in the meantime, if that’s the issue you are experiencing:

I’m curious as to why Roon doesn’t make the work around the preferred install method, on Linux you have to use RoonServer, on Mac and Windows it runs more stable with RoonServer, and ROCK and Nucleus are similar to RoonServer (I know the last 2 are their own OS).
But all of the above don’t have GUI and the general user result is a more stable Roon experience. Keep the GUI separate.

But I guess if people don’t keep using the Roon (full) it’d be more difficult to collect crash logs and data to pin down the problem.

1 Like

Hi @Robert_McAloney,

Thank you for your patience as we worked through the queue to reach your report.

Do you receive any Apple system crash reports when Roon closes? If so, are you able to copy/paste the main content of the crash (the first few paragraphs or so) in a post here?

We want to verify whether you’re experiencing the known issue other users have linked above, or a new and potentially resolvable case.

The team will attempt to pull diagnostics from your Core in the meantime. Please leave the device online overnight at some point in the next week.

Hi @Robert_McAloney,

Did you happen to see my previous note? We’re here to support if you’re still experiencing this problem.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.