Roon Core to Roon server

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Macbook 2012 Kef LS50W >> Mac Mini (headless)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Hallo from NZ. Safe place!

I have been running Roon Core from my Macbook Pro for approx. 18 months now, using an iPad as the remote controller, and have signed up to Tidal around 4 months ago. Amazing software, big fan. No problems whatsoever with this setup. My question is this:

I have just taken delivery of a Mac Mini to hopefully run it headless as a Roon Server, which I understand is possible, continuing with the same iPad as the remote, and taking the Macbook Pro out of the equation.

Any thoughts/ suggestions? I’m looking for a step by step guide on how to migrate from Roon Core on my Macbook Pro to Roon Server on my new Mac Mini, using the same iPad as the remote.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Here is the knowledge base article.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_Roon_library_to_a_new_computer%3F

Basically, make sure server is up to date, roon backup the roon server. Unmount storage.
Install new server, restore roon backup, remount storage.

Do you have that in a plain English step by step guide? I appreciate your reply but it leaves me somewhat confused. Thanks

Did you follow the link to the knowledge base article?

Hello @magic_frank, ged has the right article for you posted above. Let us know though if there’s a step you’re confused on, we would be happy to help!

It looks somewhat daunting- but yes, should be do-able! I’m going to attempt to set it up over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

On that note, if anyone has tips and tricks they want to share regarding the OS setup of a Mac Mini running as a headless Roon server, I’m all ears!

The “new” machine is a mid-2011 Core i5 2.3GHz model with 16GB ram and a 256GB SSD installed. My music library will be attached on an external 2TB Firewire drive. I will be undertaking a clean install of High Sierra (10.13) onto the Mac Mini before downloading Roon server and undertaking the swap from my laptop… thanks in advance :slight_smile:

When you do the restore from Roon backup, make sure to rename the core machine name in settings | setup | core name as it wall assume the old core name from the backup machine.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.